PDA

View Full Version : Which wrasse for Pyramidellid snail control?

Reefcherie
06/30/2003, 08:18 AM
Hello,

I've confirmed that I have a recent Pyramidellid snail explosion in my tank and have now lost two clams in less than a two week time span! I still have 6 clams and fear I'll never keep up using the manual removal method. I'm considering getting either a juvenile Red Coris Wrasse (Coris gaimard) or a Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) for biological control. I have a 180 gallon tank and also have zillions of pods, in spite of having a large Mandarin. Do you think there's any chance either wrasse would eat the snails with so many pods to go after instead? Which of these two wrasses is more likely to do the job? I'm really afraid I'll lose all my beautiful clams if something isn't done quickly!

Cheri

holeinone1972
06/30/2003, 12:42 PM
Forget the 6-line. I have never found one to eat pyramids.

The coris or this one.

http://www.thesea.org/gallerydata/70/pic00845.jpg

These Anampses neoguinaicus (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/anampses/index.htm) can be found for around $35 I think.

Great fish. If you follow the link to wetwebmedia above, look towards the bottom of the page.

I have had great personal uccess with this fish.

Best of luck, Rob

Reefcherie
06/30/2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info - I hadn't heard of that group of Wrasses. Did you experience any problems with this wrasse? I'm not in a position to be picky at this point, but forewarning is always helpful.

Do you know of a good online source for purchase of this fish? None of the local people I've purchased fish through and trust ever get this type of wrasse.

Cheri

spsdude
06/30/2003, 02:25 PM
This is also known as the China wrasse. I believe Jeff's Exotic sells them on his website. I know that Jim Norris uses two of them in his tank and he has stated there is nothing better for control of snails?

holeinone1972
06/30/2003, 02:40 PM
I am not positive but I believe Marine Depot has them.

I love this fish, it was given to me from a local club member who was tearing down his tank. The fish has been nothing but helpfull.

Best of luck, Rob

Reefcherie
06/30/2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks! I'll read everything I can find about them and start looking for someone that has a healthy one in stock. According to WetWebMedia, they are poor shippers. Normally I'd stay away from most fish in that category, but I really love my clams. I swear that every type of snail and starfish in my tank (good and bad) has put reproduction into overdrive in the last few weeks!

Cheri