PDA

View Full Version : Macro / Cheato in refugium ?

drew930
10/19/2011, 03:33 PM
Should I keep both macro as Cheato in my fuge ? Whats the similarities and differences in the two ? How are the beneficial ?

username in use
10/19/2011, 04:25 PM
First off, Chaeto is a macro algae. You can get away with keeping just that in your fuge and you will be fine. You can add some live rock if you have room. Try to stay away from caulerpa, it has a tendency to take over a tank, and has the ability to go sexual and cause you some headaches. You can also stock some sponges in your fuge for a little diversity. I also have some zoas in mine just because.

Zappo
10/19/2011, 04:33 PM
Chaeto is one of the safest macros to keep in the sump. Though if you have a tang or other herbivores, grape caulerpa is a nice alternative. It grows fast and fish love it. If it "goes sexual" the fish will eventually clean it up. Mixing types of algae may or may not work depending on what you're growing. I tried grape caulerpa and chaeto, and the chaeto just overgrew and choked out the caulerpa.

Reefing Newbie
10/19/2011, 04:37 PM
Wow, found another Minnesota member!!!

Aside from that, chaeto is your safest bet. There is the option of ulva(sea lettuce) if you want a pod warehouse in your fuge. Tangs and other herbivores eat as well. Don't quote me though because I don't have experience with it... Just what I have read about it on reefcleaners.org.

username in use
10/19/2011, 04:40 PM
If it "goes sexual" the fish will eventually clean it up.

If it goes sexual, you will have a tank that is cloudy white and you will have minimal time to do massive water changes as the O2 plummets from the ensuing bacteria bloom.

Zappo
10/19/2011, 05:00 PM
If it goes sexual, you will have a tank that is cloudy white and you will have minimal time to do massive water changes as the O2 plummets from the ensuing bacteria bloom.

That depends on your water volume and how much algae you're growing. Small amounts shouldn't be an issue, but a large refugium dedicated to growing it could be dangerous.

snorvich
10/19/2011, 06:35 PM

Yep. No caulerpa anywhere near my tanks.

drew930
10/19/2011, 06:49 PM
Okay . So with just Cheato , does it still benefit ? Add nutrients ?

sporto0
10/19/2011, 07:16 PM
Okay . So with just Cheato , does it still benefit ? Add nutrients ?

Drew, I don't think you understand the concept, all algaes USE up nutrients, not ADD them, Cheato is a macro or good alage, as opposed to Green Hair Algae which is a nuisance algae that can spread & take over a tank, by keeping a macro algae (Cheato) in your refugium, it competes with the bad algae for the nutrients, phosphates & nitrates mostly, that we don't want in our tanks.

drew930
10/19/2011, 07:24 PM
Okay. Gotcha now, I was confused . Thanks for the replies !