PDA

View Full Version : Activated carbon

darock
10/20/2011, 07:35 AM
Is it ok to use GAC when you dose vodka?
I know it not a good idea to use gfo while dosing,
but the never mention anything about GAC.

HighlandReefer
10/20/2011, 10:11 AM
When you dose vodka you increase the bacterial populations which will increase most likely the DOC such as bacterial toxins. Using GAC is a good idea when dosing vodka IMO. The GAC can remove many types of DOCs. Skimmers don't appear from research available to remove much DOC. DOC equals dissolved organic carbon which are molecule size (very small). Suspended organic C is much larger particles above 0.25 microns in size. You can see particle about 60 microns in size. Skimmers remove suspended organics and such. ;)

If your phosphate level is quite high when dosing vodka, I would run GFO to reduce the level to where it is balanced with the nitrate level, so that bacterial action can maintain it. If phosphate is low, I would not run GFO unless perhaps you have an algae problem. Keep in mind bacteria will reduce phosphate at a ratio of about 1/16 -1/30 of the nitrate used, depending on the bacterial specie. The average for all micro-organisms is the Redfield Ratio: C:N:P=106:16:1. Bacteria can utilize other sources of Nitrogen than just nitrate, in some cases organic N forms. Bacteria can also use other forms of P such as organic P, not just phosphate. If phosphate becomes low, this may cause a switch in bacterial species that utilize the organic P better. The same with nitrate and organic N. :)

HighlandReefer
10/20/2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry for all the edits. I think now I have the information the way I wanted to present it. :lol:

brob22
10/20/2011, 01:28 PM
interesting

i dont mean to high jack but if vodka dosing eliminates all the trates and some phosphate left, wouldnt u have to use gfo to eliminate remaining phosphate cuz of the redfields ratio?

HighlandReefer
10/20/2011, 01:51 PM
Yep. ;)

darock
10/20/2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply hilandreefer,
great info

HighlandReefer
10/20/2011, 04:38 PM
You're welcome. ;)