PDA

View Full Version : Can maxima clam get stung by corals or anemones?

ocyoo
10/20/2011, 11:06 AM
Hi, I currently have a 8 gallon fluval ebi tank with some corals and a maxima clam. I wanted to add some sps and maxi-mini anemones but I'm afraid that they will sting my clam of ever they are missing space. Can this happen? Does anyone keep a maxima clam with anemones and/or sps in a nano reef?

Lockhartia
10/20/2011, 11:34 AM
Clams absolutely can get stung. I had a crocea fall into my elegance coral and barely lived to tell the tale. It actually had holes burned in its mantle. You can keep them together of course, just keep an eye on placement and keep a bit of space between the clam/stinging critter and you should be fine. My crocea was on a ledge over the elegance (poor planning on my part).

moliken
10/20/2011, 03:13 PM
hate to sorta disagree, but many many pictures on the internet show clams corals and anemones together, with no mantle retraction. it's not something i'd deliberately do, but...

Lockhartia
10/21/2011, 05:15 AM
I think it depends on the situation. I have had corals and clams touch one another no problem, but when the clam fell in the elegance and irritated it, the elegance fought back. In hindsight I should have taken pictures of what the clam's mantle looked like afterwards. When I picked it up, the elegance tenticles were still attached to the clam. That coral was MAD!

T Diddy
10/21/2011, 08:36 AM
I've got a stupid aiptasia on my crocea's shell. The mantle stays retracted at the point where the aiptasia tentacles are exposed. I have seen it get stung and yelp.:uhoh3:

moliken
10/21/2011, 10:35 AM
t diddy, make a thick kalk paste and put a blob of it on the aiptasia. take the clam outta water to do it. leave it on. aip is dead. keep the paste away from mantle. clam should immediately be better. don't scrub or cut the bstrd off, as cells may remain.

T Diddy
10/21/2011, 11:20 AM
t diddy, make a thick kalk paste and put a blob of it on the aiptasia. take the clam outta water to do it. leave it on. aip is dead. keep the paste away from mantle. clam should immediately be better. don't scrub or cut the bstrd off, as cells may remain.

I wondered if the clam would react to having the kalk on its shell. I'll give it a shot...do you have a particular recipe for proper thickness/viscosity?

moliken
10/21/2011, 03:23 PM
no reaction on the shell at all. not a nice reaction of the paste gets on the clam though. kalk ["pickling lime" is available at walmart for a few ounces maybe $3] maybe a teaspoon [you won't even need close to that as you're barely gonna use 1/2 the tsp] and a few drops of sw. mix in a small container or glass. get it thicker than pancake batter, sorta like elmer's white wood glue. pick up a small gob between yr fingers. take the clam out now, not before so the bstrd won't retract. get clam to close up. put the gob on the nem. let it dry 10 seconds or so, wipe any away kalk from the top of the mantle. put clam back into tank. burp it. put it where there's no flow, some kalk will come off in tank, no probs, but if the paste was thick enough it'll adhere fine. do u understand burping a clam? turn it in all directions underwater when returning it to the tank to dislodge air bubbles

T Diddy
10/21/2011, 05:59 PM
got it...thanks again Moliken

moliken
10/21/2011, 06:53 PM
n.p.