PDA

View Full Version : Feeding questions.

LennyD4
10/20/2011, 03:08 PM
I have a 65g FOWLR tank and all my fish are peaceful community fish.

- Ocellaris Clown
- Pearly Jawfish
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Royal Gramma Basslet

Currently I feed them mysis shrimp, and about 3 days a week I soak the shrimp in Selcon. I tried feeding flakes and pellets but only the clown wants anything to do with it. Do you guys use any mix of meaty foods or any suggestions on what I should start to feed ? I dont want to just keep feeding mysis , I would like to start giving them a variety of foods.

boozerell
10/21/2011, 06:48 AM
You could add rod's food. It comes in different varieties.

NoobtoSalt
10/21/2011, 08:00 AM
Some of the LFS around here make their own food. If you want to jump into it. It's not really all that expensive and you can make well over a year supply of food for around $60-$80. A buddy of mine that now owns a LFS sells it from his store but we used to make it at our houses before. Just let your better half know to get out of the house when your making it...LOL

NoobtoSalt
10/21/2011, 08:02 AM
Oh yeah and he ends up making something like $500 off of it when he sells it. It's an awesome food, and worth buying from a LFS even with the higher price so your house doesn't smell bad.

MrTuskfish
10/21/2011, 10:46 AM
The fish you have should eat most good frozen (Formula I&II, spirulina enriched brine, etc) & prepared foods. Just don't give in and feed them the mysis whenever they refuse something new. they can go hungry for a while. Jawfish sometimes won't go far from their burrow to eat, so deliver some with a baster or something. GOOD home-made foods are great; but for 4 small fish? Your fish need to be fed small amounts, more often. IMO, feeding 3X a week isn't nearly often enough. 3X a day, feeding only as much as they eat in a few mins would be more appropriate. Many LFS feed only a few times weekly, for many reasons---keeping the fish hungry for potential customers to see may be reason #1. But, they don't have to keep the fish long-term.

LennyD4
10/21/2011, 03:02 PM
I feed 7 days a week, I only put the Selcon on 3x a week. I think I will buy an auto feeder to drop flakes/pellets in so they get fed 2x a day.