PDA

View Full Version : Dottyback pseudochromis bully

Catandfish
10/20/2011, 06:54 PM
Hi everybody! Im pretty new to this hobby (about 3 months) and I have a problem! I have had two clowns and a yellow tail blue damsel for a few weeks. Four days ago I added a dottyback pseudochromis....and ever since my poor damsel has been hovering in the upper corner of the tank :(. Occasionally the pseudochromis swims at her and nips at her tail. I read on here to catch her and float her in a tupperware for a few days....but I cant catch her!
Any other suggestions?
Is my damsel going to hover up there forever? Or will i wake up one morning and find her dead?
This hobby is stressful!
Any help would be appreciated!
PS....29 gallon tank about 3 months old with LR a coral banded shrimp and the above mentioned fish. Water parameters have been good recently.

Lynnmw1208
10/20/2011, 07:19 PM
I would say in a 29 gallon, the pseudochromis will always bully the fish. Those fish need their space. you could try an orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani). they're supposed to be a bit more nice. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+38+1116&pcatid=1116

king87
10/20/2011, 07:24 PM
what kind of dottyback is it? pseudochromis is basically a synonym for any dottyback. they are very territoiral and +1 the orchid may be a bit less agressive. you can either get rid or the dottyback or maybe wait it out fish tend to be more agressive when first introduced. it may calm down after a while. the hobby is stressful lol but worth it. happy reefing - allen

Catandfish
10/21/2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your info! I think it is a royal dottyback? It is half pink half yellow split vertically. Ive noticed the damsel swims around at night when the dottyback is under a rock, then when the dottyback comes out it chases her back to her corner. I think I may see if I can exchange her....do LFS generally let you....of course I'd have to catch her first!

C0rp
10/21/2011, 02:39 PM
get that dotty out. 29 way too small. i feel sorry for your yellow tail. research ALL purchases and QT EVERYTHING. good luck.

b0bab0ey
10/21/2011, 02:46 PM
I hate Dottybacks/Pseudochromis for just this reason. IME their temperaments are too similar to Damsels. I'll take a Fairy Basslet over a Bicolor Pseudochromis any day of the week.

Lorenz725
10/21/2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah I had problems in my 44 with one he was beating up my scooter blenny. Now I got him in his own tank I like the fish has come cool personality it is just mean.

dzfish17
10/21/2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your info! I think it is a royal dottyback? It is half pink half yellow split vertically. Ive noticed the damsel swims around at night when the dottyback is under a rock, then when the dottyback comes out it chases her back to her corner. I think I may see if I can exchange her....do LFS generally let you....of course I'd have to catch her first!

Are you sure its a royal gramma? The bi-color dottyback looks alot like a royal gramma but is way more aggressive. The royal gramma has a line through the mouth, a spot on the top fin and where the two colors are joined it is more muted (the bi-color has a clean line).

C0rp
10/21/2011, 09:59 PM
The op never stated royal gramma? Op stated that dottyback is royal dotty.

Playerdrm
10/21/2011, 10:38 PM
my bicolor dotty was beating up my yellow tang and a clarkii he promptly went back to the store after i tore my tank apart to get him

dzfish17
10/21/2011, 10:54 PM
The op never stated royal gramma? Op stated that dottyback is royal dotty.

You are correct. Sorry about that. I saw royal and assumed royal gramma. My bad.

johnnytmc
10/21/2011, 11:50 PM
Bi-color dotty is aggressive. It has beaten my cleaner goby to a corner.

Rich976usaf
10/22/2011, 01:25 AM
OH no, too many fish too soon in too small of a tank.

b0bab0ey
10/22/2011, 03:42 PM
my bicolor dotty was beating up my yellow tang and a clarkii he promptly went back to the store after i tore my tank apart to get him

Damn, kicking both a Yellow Tang & Clarkii's ***... I'd love for him to give my female Maroon (to the left) an attitude adjustment.