PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer

pfcreed
10/20/2011, 08:34 PM
If you dont have a protein skimmer and no money for one is it worth while to just make a temporary cheap one out of a airstone and a bottle or would it be so ineffective that it wouldnt even be worth the time?

zhewitt04
10/20/2011, 08:53 PM
Don't waste your time and look into a aglae turf scrubber. Also stay on top of water changes while not having a skimmer. You can buy a good used skimmer pretty cheap on craigslist or even the forums on here.

topn0tchlefty
10/20/2011, 09:56 PM
temporary cheap

from my experience dont go cheap from the get go,do it right the first time or youll end up spending more in the long run when it craps out (you get what you pay for) this is an expensive hobby so for you to say no money, i wonder what kind plans you got for this low budget setup ? ? ?

b0bab0ey
10/20/2011, 10:07 PM
don't waste your time and look into a aglae turf scrubber. Also stay on top of water changes while not having a skimmer. You can buy a good used skimmer pretty cheap on craigslist or even the forums on here.

+1

BrianOKC
10/20/2011, 10:08 PM
from my experience dont go cheap from the get go,do it right the first time or youll end up spending more in the long run when it craps out (you get what you pay for) this is an expensive hobby so for you to say no money, i wonder what kind plans you got for this low budget setup ? ? ?

I agree don't go cheap if your going to invest in equipment but the rest of your statement would suggest that you can't enjoy this hobby unless your willing to spend a few thousand dollars. I personally have invested them thousands of dollars but I see fellow reefers make it work for a fraction of what I have spent.

So it can be done on a budget it just normally requires a little more time and elbow grease. If it wasn't for people trying to save a few bucks just imagine all the valuable information that would of been lost in the DIY section.

pfcreed
10/21/2011, 01:26 PM
I like to save money, I just so happen to like salt water tanks. I will be fine growing my tank as my budget grows. A skimmer is my last piece of equipment. If go to the store n buy one all i will take away from that experience is how to give someone my money. Now if I sit down n build one then I can have some education along with it. but thanks for your genuine concern into my finances.

Saadatski
10/21/2011, 01:38 PM
well actually, DIY skimmers are the best in the world. If you are really experianced with the design of a skimmer and how it functions, taking head pressure and experimenting with different pumps, a DIY skimmer is WAYY better than any mass produced skimmers because they are made with quality and mass distribution is not really a problem.

If you really want to make your own skimmer, look around the internet for people that have made a REAL DIY skimmer that is effective and not under $100 lol

Todd_Sails
10/21/2011, 01:48 PM
I'm a DIY'er to tne max.

I say look up threads on it and build yourself one.

If you do buy, check out the SC150 (that's what I use on my 125 reef)
It was only $95shipped, and is high quality, with a good pump (atman 2500 with needle wheel), etc.

ONe doesn't have to spend alot for a descent skimmer.
I love mine, skims great, think gunk daily.

I've DIY'd alot of my set up, and most of it was bought off CL.
Go for the DIY, I've seen threads where they get skim.
I've looked into them, I wouldn't use airstone, bur rather a good pump with a needle wheel and venturi for the emumlsification. They are emulsion fractionators, aren't they?
Look at a design and go for it.
For me, for the trouble, it was get the inexpensive, yet reliable SC150.