PDA

View Full Version : Current Gamma UV Sterilizer40 watt replacement lamp?

jfingers8
10/21/2011, 07:38 AM
I have a 40 watt Current UV Sterilizer. Need to replace the lamp. Can I buy a new 40 watt bulb that has a 4 pin connector on the end from any company or does it have to be from Current?

harlequinacro
10/21/2011, 10:13 AM
I'd buy the Uv bulb made by current. Even though other companys make some that look the same and have the same pin configuration, they might not work right.

jfingers8
10/21/2011, 12:05 PM
ok thanks

Uncle Salty 05
10/21/2011, 02:51 PM
Why are you running a UVS?
IME they are worthless, and a waste of money.

jfingers8
10/21/2011, 03:01 PM
I know this will probably start something up, but it's just my experience. I have a 125 with a ick outbreak. I've been in the hobby for 10+ years and everytime i've had a tank with ick, I have been sucessful. People will claim its just the fish fighting it off blah blah blah, but it just magically happens that everytime I hook up my UV the ick slowly goes away. I believe every tank has it, no matter what people say. You have germs all the time and bacteria that your immune system constantly fight off right? Well, I believe all fish have it no matter how long you QT them for. They can just have a single parasite or a couple that you can't see. I don't care if I get a outbreak every couple of years. It's better than stressing out the fish even more by QT'ing it and going through the pain of removing all the fish and treating them with copper. Never lost a fish with ick and I've had several fish loaded in it. Garlic and UV work for me. Something different might work for you.

Uncle Salty 05
10/21/2011, 03:09 PM
Not trying to start anything.
I was just curious about your reason for using one.
Never noticed any benefit from the ones I have had in the past.
IMO the best way to avoid ich is to make wise purchases, and keep rock solid tank parameters.

harlequinacro
10/21/2011, 04:41 PM
Go to Emperor Aquatics UV section, read their articles and check out the uv kill rate chart.