PDA

View Full Version : cheato in dt? anyone doing it?

carolgyrl1
10/22/2011, 02:57 PM
I would like to figure out a way to creatively putting some cheato in my dt. I do have led lighting. My sump is really too small to add it, I have a hood over my tank, so I cant do a hang over type. What about using something like a plastic (strawberry holder) basket? I know that the cheato needs to tumble some, and needs lighting 24/7.This is to keep it from going asexual?? Not sure how to address the lighting thing,I have a couple of tangs. do they eat this? what are the pros, cons? I am wanting it mainly to help maintain the amphipods.

Lwhite
10/22/2011, 04:16 PM
I have some tucked behind the LR in my tank.. Seems to hold it pretty well. Once a week or so it escapes and I have to tuck it back :) Fish seem to like playing around it while its rolling around the tank though.

Dustin1300
10/22/2011, 04:54 PM
Main benefit for Chaeto is nutrient export and it eating the nutrients that other bad algaes need to survive. If you have limited space you could also do a hang on back refugium and keep it out of DT.

carolgyrl1
10/22/2011, 06:02 PM
I was trying to make a home for amphipods to live, and thrive

scarface70706
10/22/2011, 06:41 PM
if your trying to grow pods in the ball of hair we call chato i would use a hang on the back fuge if you cant in a sump. all fish eat pods so it would be hard to keep a lot in your DT with the chato rolling around freely.

I found the best place to grow a pod farm in the DT is to buy a aqua mag rock. google it and they work great as a pod farm since the back of them that sits on the glass is very pours.

carolgyrl1
10/22/2011, 07:00 PM
I googled it, does it work the same as what i noticed this morning?? ( yesterday I dumped a lot of AMPHIPODS in my tank,- this morning I grabbed my mag float, they went scurrying-- same principal? they were hiding behind it???

ReeferBill
10/22/2011, 07:04 PM
Their are other types of macro that look better and can be kept under cotroll rather than cheato.

SecretiveFish
10/22/2011, 08:03 PM
Our tangs love to eat it, so we could not have it in the maintank. We do have it in another tangless DT though.

Dustin1300
10/22/2011, 09:04 PM
You could do a basket at bottom of dt and put it upside down on the chaeto.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Frogmanx82
10/22/2011, 10:29 PM
I have had chaeto for quite some time in the DT since I have no sump and no room behind my tank. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't attach. You should be able to see some tank pics with it if you check out my homepage. Click on my name for the link. Lately I have found red gracilaria to be a much better choice. Looks great, grows fast and also does not attach with any roots.

Bits of chaeto do tend to spread around the tank and while its easy to pull out, its hard to find every strand. I usually have the cheato ball fixed, not rolling around. It does grow like crazy. I have a few other macro algaes as well. Nitrates 0, phosphates 0.

Teddynola
10/23/2011, 01:46 AM
I read in another thread that someone used a suction cup shower caddy, it has small holes but will contain the chaeto and allow light in and pods out. Sounds like a great idea to me. Hope this helps.

Dr Colliebreath
10/23/2011, 04:56 PM
I keep it in one of those cloth breeder baskets that attaches to the rim of my tank with 2 aluminum strips (it fits under the tank cover).