PDA

View Full Version : 11 days later, new fish sudden death

peasofme
10/22/2011, 09:20 PM
so this fish was doing fine for 11 days and then i found it dead tonight. could this be due to cyanide poisoning or catch and transportation stress? it was a two spot blenny and i'm really upset.

hollister
10/22/2011, 09:52 PM
A couple of questions.

Tank size and do you have a lid?
What did you feed him?
Whats used for water movement?

hollister
10/22/2011, 10:10 PM
A couple of questions.

Tank size and do you have a lid?
What did you feed him?
Whats used for water movement?

bundybear1981
10/22/2011, 10:38 PM
also what are you water parameters? Other stock in the tank?

peasofme
10/23/2011, 09:12 AM
Inadequate facilities for the holding and transport of species unquestionably results in a high to very high number of mortalities. Disease, unhealthy water conditions, stress, poor care, lack of education regarding the needs of marine fauna, and motivation driven by economic necessity all contribute to unacceptable levels of unnecessary losses of marine ornamental fauna (Baquero, 1999; Albaladejo, 1981; Tullock, 1998; Vallejo, 1997).

In fact, delayed mortality has been estimated by retailers to be on the order of up to 90% within a year (Tullock, 1998; OATA, 1999). Livestock losses are typically described to be on the order of 10-20% (for various reasons) at each level of transport and holding, with reported mortalities before export more frequently higher - perhaps 40% (Vallejo, 1997).

Cyanide fishing often results in a type of sudden death syndrome, often becoming apparent only after the fish has been shipped to other countries and entered the retail channel. It has been estimated to result in nine fish killed for every one collected (Brower, 1991) and results in large amounts of collateral damage to other reef species, including corals (Bryant, 1998, et al.; Rubec, et al., 2001).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/eb/index.php

mm949
10/23/2011, 11:22 AM
not sure why you even have a fish tank..? these quotes are over 20yrs...the industry hasn't seen cyanide caught fish since 1998.

i own a store and buy form local distributors and transhippers and never have more than 3% loss

if you ask for help, you need to response to the questions asked

mm949
10/23/2011, 11:23 AM

peasofme
10/23/2011, 11:25 AM
what's the name of your store and what's the address? who are your local distributors and transhippers? where do your fish come from? how long are they held at your store before you put them on sale? how do you make sure you're selling healthy fish? what's your guarantee on fish? what parameters are the fish in your store kept at? what are the parameters of the people you buy from? what about coral? what are the tank set ups in your store? what about the people you buy from?

if things are so good now, why are so many of the fish i see at the stores sick? how many times have you irresponsibly sold something just to make a sale?

albano
10/23/2011, 11:35 AM
not sure why you even have a fish tank..? these quotes are over 20yrs...the industry hasn't seen cyanide caught fish since 1998.

i own a store and buy form local distributors and transhippers and never have more than 3% loss

if you ask for help, you need to response to the questions asked+1
what's the name of your store and what's the address? who are your local distributors and transhippers? where do your fish come from? how long are they held at your store before you put them on sale? how do you make sure you're selling healthy fish? what's your guarantee on fish? what parameters are the fish in your store kept at? what are the parameters of the people you buy from? what about coral?
WOW...take a look in the mirror!

mm949
10/24/2011, 12:37 PM
i gonna say your fish probably died from STRESS.....

SkullV
10/24/2011, 01:41 PM
what's the name of your store and what's the address? who are your local distributors and transhippers? where do your fish come from? how long are they held at your store before you put them on sale? how do you make sure you're selling healthy fish? what's your guarantee on fish? what parameters are the fish in your store kept at? what are the parameters of the people you buy from? what about coral? what are the tank set ups in your store? what about the people you buy from?

if things are so good now, why are so many of the fish i see at the stores sick? how many times have you irresponsibly sold something just to make a sale?

:lolspin:

Psirex
10/24/2011, 01:51 PM
That's it bash the guy trying/wanting to help you....

Psirex
10/24/2011, 01:52 PM
i gonna say your fish probably died from STRESS.....

Yeah - they picked up his... :lolspin:

Cheebs
10/24/2011, 01:56 PM
This is a sad attempt, and the wrong approach to get your point accross. There are litterally thousands of different reasons your fish could have died in your tank, and chances are it come down to you, and not the way it was collected. Not to say that it isn't an important issue, but at least give the people you are asking the question to some respect instead of copy+pasting old quotes in their face.

I wish I could blame everything I've lost on the people who sold them to me!