PDA

View Full Version : New Addition... Powder Blue Tang

dzfish17
10/22/2011, 11:47 PM
I dont know if I should be happy or sad about my last order of fish from Divers Den. I ordered a 5" Powder Blue Tang for 89.99 and what I received was a 7" PBT. My only concern is that my other tangs are all around 3" to 4". Do you folks think a 7" PBT will go after my smaller 3" hippo or 3" yellow tangs?

The tank is 600g (96x36x46) added fish on Fri. at 3:00 pm.

I called LA and told them that they sent me the 299.99 PBT on accident and they offered me a credit. I dont really want the credit because this fish is beautiful (Ive never had a big show fish) but I am a little worried about him going after my other fish. Should I be worried or can the smaller tangs hold their own?

foxrazr
10/22/2011, 11:59 PM
Well he is already in, just wait and see. I know wait and see is easier said then done. But you have a huge tank which would produce less stress to that show size PBT. IMHO. Keep us posted.

MIKE NY
10/23/2011, 06:48 AM
being that the smaller tangs are established already is a big plus, but after the PBT is acclimated there will be bickering. ..your tank is large enough that they should be ok, but as mentioned wait and see.... the PBT will be the king of the tank.

moorish idol 1
10/23/2011, 08:32 AM
There will be bickering since powder blues tend to be aggresive but in that size tank there shouldn't be a lot more than that.

Dr Colliebreath
10/23/2011, 08:55 AM
I would think whether the pbt was 5 or 7 inches, it will rule the tank and the other tangs will quickly recognize that (or be reminded) and get in line. Given the size of your tank, I suspect it will work out as the other tangs will have enough space to satisfy them. It will depend on the individual fish (hopefully, it isn't a particularly mean pbt and the smaller tangs don't think they can stand up to the pbt), but my guess is the tangs will get along just fine. Many people have kept multiple tangs in tanks as large as yours, plus the tangs you have are different from one another.

dzfish17
10/23/2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the comments and so far the PBT is just swimming around with the other tangs... no aggression issues yet. I was scared because of all the things Ive read about PBTs being so mean. I just hope it works out long term.

Reefing Newbie
10/23/2011, 02:18 PM
Tangs can cohabitat fairly well, unless it involves a sohal or clown tang(can be deliberate killers), it is just the intial week or two. My lfs has a 240 gallon FO display that had a 6 month established purple tang then they added a red sea sailfin tang(very similar body shapes). I was there the day after they added the sail fin and it stayed to one corner and didn't leave it. The purple tang would literally go up to that corner with his scaple showing every 30 seconds or so to make sure the new guy knew his place. Two weeks later the sailfin is free to roam the tank and graze with the purple tang. IMO mixing different tangs is really no problem as long as they are introduced from least aggressive to most aggressive. You also have to base it upon individual fish. PBTs are known to harass almost any new addition after it to death so I hope you don't have any more fish to add... You should be clear in about two weeks of any aggression.

nuccadoc
10/23/2011, 02:21 PM
Great addition! My pbt is the smallest of the tangs in my 400 and he rules the roost! Keep in mind your chances of adding another tang are slim to none. Got any pics? Would love to see your setup.

dzfish17
10/23/2011, 02:55 PM
My tank is fully stocked at this point. A nice gift from Live Aquaria if it works out. Im going to have to get used to looking at him because he is just so much larger than everything else in the tank. He even makes my 5" Emporer look small. Im going to start a build thread about my rockwall/backlit cave this winter and there will be alot of pics. Thanks for the input.