PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon stocking

snig623
10/23/2011, 06:46 PM
Looking for some suggestions for fish for my new 90 gallon. Right now I have 2 true percula clowns, a niger trigger, and a mandarin dragonette. Looking for reef friendly fish.

Reefing Newbie
10/23/2011, 07:01 PM
The niger trigger is going to outgrow your 90 gallon tank fast! I would take it out, it isn't reef safe either. How old is your tank? If it isn't at least 8 months old your mandarin may starve to death...

With that out of the way I will give you my suggestions. I like the royal gramma. They are very brightly colored and have personality, just like every fish. They are definantly reef safe and are fairly peaceful. You should also look into watchman gobies like the yellow watchman, randall's watchman, diamond watchman, etc... You could get a pistol shrimp with the watchman goby and see some interesting behavior. I will also recommend looking into flasher and fairy wrasses. They are peaceful and very colorful. If you want a somewhat larger fish for your tank you could look into getting a yellow eye kole tang or a tomini tang. Those are really the only tangs that will fit in your tank.

small alien
10/23/2011, 10:26 PM
As was stated, that trigger will outgrow your tank. Regarding suggestions, I would suggest you focus on stocking such that all areas of the tank are effectively exploited. That means a burrower, some bottom dwelling fish, some nook occupiers and some open water fish. With a 90, you can do a ton of small fish, but if you start stocking big guys like the trigger, you'll run out of room pronto. A 90 is ultimately a very large small tank, not a large tank, and as such, you'll do best if you stock small fish, under 6".

Do you want a peaceful reef or more feisty? Do you want slow, deliberate feeders, or fast, active, aggressive feeders? Tell us what YOU like. And we can be more help. Good luck.

Oldcabin
10/24/2011, 08:22 AM
Foxface? The possibilities are endless, but all of the advice above is very good.
Be sure to research each fish to be sure it will work for you and the fish in the long run.