PDA

View Full Version : Snail and Crab problem

briggs81
10/23/2011, 08:05 PM
Hello

I have an 8 gallon tank with live rock and 6 hermit crabs. I introduced a astrea snail, and have found out that was a mistake.

I looked at 2-3 different sources for a clean up crew and based my team off of that.

After losing this snail I thought it was maybe my water, but everything is fine. it's been running for 1.5 months or so with great levels.

I know they are susceptible to falling and landing on their backside.. he did it 3 times within he 12 hours of owning him.

none the less.. it seems my hermits may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure how through all of my searching I didn't find out this is not a good mix, before.

It appears that no snail is a good match for a small tank with hermit sin it (i have 4 blue, 1 red and 1 green one, interestingly. )

i do have one snail that was given to me by my lfs. i have no idea what it is. He is tiny and sticks to the walls, sometimes is on he rock. He is a bit bigger then my largest hermit but they can't seem to kick him out of the shell. he is pretty fast and sticks to the safe places, but is not afraid to venture around them.

I am goingto get some extra shells for them just in case, but I've read that does not really matter.

I don't know what snail that I have, but he seems to be doing ok. I should take a photo to have him ID'd.

I've read that Narcissus might have a better chance because they do a lot more sifting, but again, i've also read they are eaten for lunch.

Do you guys have any current ideas for this problem? Am I not going to be able o get a snail to help manage my algae?

I plan on getting an emerald crab too, but i was sticking with hermits and snails for now.

I don't know if i should risk a turbo snail or a hardy starfish or not for the tank.

I can't believe i didnt catch this stuff about hermit crabs earlier.. i've been reading forever. Not sure why these crabs wanted his shell. They are tiny, he was huge. They can't even use it yet.

Thanks in advance.

john miller
10/24/2011, 12:16 PM
Extra shells laying around will help but feeding them is also another good option. I drop small pieces of raw shrimp in everyday for them to eat. Since I've been doing that they have left my snails alone.

Pallobi
10/24/2011, 01:56 PM
Hermit crabs are notorius for killing snails for shells...

SushiGirl
10/24/2011, 04:18 PM
Feed them. 6 hermits in an 8 gallon tank is a lot. There's no way they're getting enough food on their own in a tank that small. I'm assuming you don't have a fish in a tank that small that you're feeding.