PDA

View Full Version : What fish jump?

TNTahan
10/24/2011, 01:24 AM
I am getting a custom aquarium made, first time into salt water and trying to decide between a rimless and one with a eurobrace and canopy. What fishes am I going to have to worry about finding on the ground one day and what ones will I not have to worry about?

I am doing a mix tank, I want to get a few clownfish, maybe a leopard wrasse, a tang, and one day hopefully a Green Mandarin. Will I have a problem with any of those? any ones I should be look out for that will jump with a rimless? any help would be great!

andy13
10/24/2011, 01:40 AM
From my personal experience wrasses ,fire fish and some Toby's are big jumpers

Sugar Magnolia
10/24/2011, 07:06 AM
Add to the above, clowns, jawfish. All fish have the potential to jump. ;)

sacremon
10/24/2011, 07:13 AM

Other than seahorses, for whom I think it is physically impossible. People have had lionfish jump.

collegeman
10/24/2011, 07:29 AM
I think every fish jumps. I have had triggers, clownfish, fire fish, wrasse, etc jump. It took me a couple years to realize that all fish had the potential to jump out of the tank. I suggest that the tank have a cover.

tcoral
10/24/2011, 07:34 AM

Other than seahorses, for whom I think it is physically impossible. People have had lionfish jump.

+1, all fish, if startled can jump. I just had my new yellow Japanese hawkfish jump from the bag onto the floor (and he shot straight up!). Imagine what they can do with a larger amount of water. Luckily after a panicky trying to scoop him off the floor, he's OK. I've woken up though to not so lucky fish on the floor though, and had to rework the cover on my tank. I thought I had all the spots covered on my tank before, but the jumpers seemed to find that one open spot I didn't know about to do their carpet surfing :strange:

Korrine
10/24/2011, 07:34 AM
Definitely cover your tank. Do a search for net or screen covers on here. There are several threads on making them. They don't look bad and don't block much light. Don't use egg crate. Many smaller fish can fit through it.

michael_cb_125
10/24/2011, 08:14 AM
All fish have the potential to rocket out of any uncovered aquarium.
Don't Risk It, Cover It!

~Michael

small alien
10/24/2011, 08:49 AM
As an aside, a "few clowns" is probably not a good idea unless your tank is very large and you have multiple anemones. Just do a pair imo. And a cover is a must even though open top tanks look so awesome. Good luck.

lilalove
10/24/2011, 10:22 AM
Don't Risk It, Cover It!

Wise words for the hobby and out of it , as well. :spin1:

I had a rusty angel jump to its beef jerky death.

peasofme
10/24/2011, 10:26 AM
some fish can jump through a 1/4" net. some also get stuck in it and die.

Wolverine
10/24/2011, 10:37 AM
I've seen just about everything but seahorses jump, including anglers, which I didn't think was possible.

michael_cb_125
10/24/2011, 11:24 AM
As for the tank, I would go rimless. Rimless tanks look so much cleaner in my opinion.
I personally have 4 rimless systems right now and I would never consider anything else.

Just be sure to make a nice looking screen for the jumpers!

~Michael

Korrine
10/24/2011, 01:39 PM
here

namxas
10/24/2011, 01:51 PM
I've seen just about everything but seahorses jump, including anglers, which I didn't think was possible.

Ditto...lions, scorps, and not SH, but some pipefish will jump. We've lost fish that we had NO IDEA were jumpers, nor would we have ever thought they'd jump.

TNTahan
10/24/2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys.... but then how do you enjoy a rimless tank if there is a cover or a net over it? dosnt that kinda defeat the purpose of having a nice rimless tank?

michael_cb_125
10/25/2011, 08:12 AM
Some of the covers for rimless tanks are so discrete that you barely notice them. When I am in the living room or when I have guests over I remove the cover. This way I can still enjoy the beauty of a rimless tank but have the option of securing it when I am not around.

~Michael

Korrine
10/25/2011, 12:22 PM
You could do what ^ said. Why kill more fish if you can prevent it :) It isn't a matter of "if" they jump, it's "when" they jump.

heck I had my clownfish in a temporary 10g tank and took a chunk of screen and unrolled a tid bit to put over it. Clamped it on in the front and then draped the excess over the back of the tank. Didn't make a screen b/c I don't need 1 long term for the 10g (it's now a top off reservoir).

gguy123
10/25/2011, 02:11 PM
FIRE FISH. Cant keep them in the tank

Laborator
11/06/2011, 02:22 AM
Just lost my algae blenny tonight.

Thinking of ordering a cover from either brs or Cadlights

89Foxbody
11/06/2011, 06:08 AM
Egg crate doesn't work unfortunately. My chalk basslet went carpet surfing yesterday. Found him dried up and crispy on the floor last night. :( Makes me sad thinking of him helpless on the floor. That and he was given to me as a gift. Not a good day.

SecretiveFish
11/06/2011, 10:56 AM
We had the same mandarin jump from a rimless twice, luckily we saw him do it both times. The mandarin is now is a tank with a glass lid. I wonder why rimless are popular (wish we had not gotten it)...there are basically no fish that can be put in there that may not at sometime jump.