PDA

View Full Version : Sand-Sifting Gobies- Suggestions?

gofor100
10/24/2011, 11:23 AM
Hey Guys,

Interested in getting a Sand-Sifting goby, but unsure which one to get...

Was thinking of getting the Sleeper Gold Head Goby (Valenciennea strigata), but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

My main concern is the fish spreading sand all over sand-dwelling creatures (i.e., clams and LPS on sandbed)- although, the sandbed will consist of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand (which is larger than Sugar size- approx. 1.25-1.95mm), so not sure if this will guard against this.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chad

alton
10/24/2011, 11:53 AM
Diamond for the most in one place while sifting, yellow head will cover your live rock and corals with sand.

AfricaOffroad
10/24/2011, 12:03 PM
What about a Valenciennea wardi?
They sit on the sand, dont lift it when sifting.

gofor100
10/24/2011, 12:14 PM
Diamond for the most in one place while sifting, yellow head will cover your live rock and corals with sand.

Good to know (thanks for the heads up)! Definitely don't want that.

I've always liked the twin-spot goby but fear they may become fish food for fish that are looking for "crab-looking" things. Also, since I'm maintaining a sandbed that consists of 1.25-1.95mm grain size, I figured the larger sand-sifters would be more suitable than the smaller ones that would probably have a harder time sifting the larger sand particles.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad

gofor100
10/24/2011, 12:18 PM
What about a Valenciennea wardi?
They sit on the sand, dont lift it when sifting.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for... something that just sits there sifting sand and doesn't redecorate your tank with a fine layer of sand!

Strange that the feeding behavior differs from members of the same genus (or maybe not, but at least interesting).

Keep the suggestions/comments coming!

Thanks,

Chad

jbonez
10/24/2011, 12:21 PM
diamond gobie jump i lost 3 of them you need a cover on your tank gl

gofor100
10/24/2011, 12:23 PM
diamond gobie jump i lost 3 of them you need a cover on your tank gl

Thanks for the heads up... I'm planning on making one out of mesh.

Thanks,

Chad

jbonez
10/24/2011, 12:26 PM
well when you have the top get a diamond they are great the first one i had i had him for a week and my sand was super clean they work all day . gl

dzhuo
10/24/2011, 12:31 PM
Another great option is Valenciennea puellaris:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/dzhuo/150g/DSC_0272-1.jpg

Keep in mind that you will need to find one that readily accept prepared food instead of one that relies entirely on the sand bed to provide food.

gofor100
10/24/2011, 12:49 PM
So it looks like the Diamond Sleeper Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) and the Tiger Watchman Goby (Valenciennea wardii) are in the running...

Any others?

Thanks again for the help!

Chad

Bernie21
10/24/2011, 03:15 PM
I have a tiger watchman Goby!! I love him, he's great. He doesnt sift sand onto anything other than the base and Ive had him for a long time too. I used to have a golden head sleeper goby, that would sift sand everywhere, he didnt last either, he ended up starving.

gofor100
10/24/2011, 03:39 PM
I have a tiger watchman Goby!! I love him, he's great. He doesnt sift sand onto anything other than the base and Ive had him for a long time too. I used to have a golden head sleeper goby, that would sift sand everywhere, he didnt last either, he ended up starving.

Awesome! Well it looks like it is between the Diamond and the Tiger... I'll run them by the wife and see which one she prefers.

If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to post!

Thanks again,

Chad

SushiGirl
10/24/2011, 03:46 PM
I have a 6-spot sleeper goby. Every once in a great while he'll take sand up into the water column, but it's just when he gets caught sifting and I put food in LOL. he's a huge pig when it comes to prepared food, too, and comes into the water column to grab it first before anyone else gets there. Definitely a jumper as well, so cover that tank.

I've had a couple of diamond gobies in the past, they are also a good choice for not spreading it everywhere.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6187399394_f0d8a9882b_z.jpg

gofor100
10/24/2011, 03:50 PM
I have a 6-spot sleeper goby. Every once in a great while he'll take sand up into the water column, but it's just when he gets caught sifting and I put food in LOL. he's a huge pig when it comes to prepared food, too, and comes into the water column to grab it first before anyone else gets there. Definitely a jumper as well, so cover that tank.

I've had a couple of diamond gobies in the past, they are also a good choice for not spreading it everywhere.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6187399394_f0d8a9882b_z.jpg

Thanks! I'll add it to the list!

-Chad

gguy123
10/25/2011, 02:14 PM
Tiger Watchman Goby