PDA

View Full Version : Doreensis Nem help needed please

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 01:15 PM
Hello Guys,

A frequent lurker here, but I have registered today as I need some help with a new nem in my tank - take is 5ft all parameters are good, all other nems etc are fine, got a doreensis last week and she looked lovely for 48 hours, yesterday she deflated and this enormous "poop" was done she folded back into her red base, and has pulled herself out the the sand where she had been, she was upside down this morning, but I righted her and she has stayed on her side, her tentacles are visiable but look like very small noodles. However when trying to re-site her just now I noticed this on her foot, any ideas? I would be really gutted to loose her, any help really appreciated. I will also post on the nem thread, but thought it might get seen here quicker.

Here is a before shot and then 2 afters

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/huxleyhobbs/011.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/huxleyhobbs/005.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/huxleyhobbs/004.jpg

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys - this is her just now - do I need to remove her or is there anything I can do?

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/huxleyhobbs/008.jpg

Reefing Newbie
10/24/2011, 01:37 PM
Take it out and see of it smells. It doesn't look good at this point with my three week experience with LTAs. I had a LTA in my 125 with a handdoni and two BTAs. The LTA moved and got stung by the handdoni. It died 24 hours later and looked like your LTA. What other nems do you have in your tank?

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 01:41 PM
hi - we have BTA, Carpet and mags, all are doing great, it has not been stung by any of these, as all stay in position, this one was doing fine, then this, we are so gutted she was lovely, and has literally collapsed in the last 24 hours or so - will get hubby to smell..

Toddrtrex
10/24/2011, 02:03 PM
Take it out now -- it is a goner.

What type of "carpet" ?

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 02:12 PM
Hi Todd,

Even if it still has its colour, should I take it out it looks so poorly, carpet nem is a haddoni - don't want it to pollute my tank - everything else is doing great.

BP x

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 02:16 PM
hi there is no smell from it yet, what should we do?
On my second photo you can see a greyish browny "stuff" what is it?

Toddrtrex
10/24/2011, 02:16 PM
The color doesn't matter, it is just the pigment of the tentacles -- there is no hope for this anemone, and the longer it is in your tank, the worse it is for your tank. I would actually use a net, have a feeling it is going to fall apart.

I personally have never had good luck mixing M. doreensis with S. haddoni. Did it ever come in contact with any of the other anemones?

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 02:21 PM
Hi Todd,

we have it in a net in the tank right now, its still in one piece, it has no contact with any of our other nems, and looked great only 48 hours ago - I am prepared to take it out and dispose are you sure there is no hope for it? What do you think could have caused it so quickly?

Toddrtrex
10/24/2011, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately I have seem anemones in this state before, I am 100% sure there is no hope for it. I will say this, if it was in my tank, it was be in the toilet by now.

It is shocking at how fast it turned, so lets start with the basics...

What size tank?
What lights?
How long has the tank been set up?
What are the current water parameters -- with numbers.
What all is in the tank?
Where did you get the anemone? From an LFS or online?

Reefing Newbie
10/24/2011, 02:30 PM
Nems and some corals go into chemical war if they are in the same tank as each other. Most of the time S. handdoni nems won't stay put if they are in the same tank as each other. I am not sure if it chemical or what, but that is what I think.

Remove it ASAP as it is a complete goner. Mine looked like that and started falling apart a day after deflating.

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 02:31 PM
Hi there,

tank is 5ft by 2ft by 2.6ft
teh lights are 2 T5 aqtinic blue, 2 t5 10k white, 2 100wt metal halides. Tank has been set up for 14months has 60kilos of live rock, we have in the tank - 2 bubbles tips (after splitting) 2 stunning mags, a haddoni, a malu - all of which are doing great. Fish wise - a couple of tangs, couple of clowns, chromis, 2 mandarins, we also have a few zoas, and a cataphyllia.
Tank parameters taken this monring are@: Temp 27, Salt 1.022, PH 7.8, KH 8.3 CA 380, NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 10, PO4 0.
We are still relative novices but we love this hobby and would love any comments. I think we have been very lucky so far, and Todd, I could shed a tear over Doreensis demise...

Toddrtrex
10/24/2011, 02:37 PM
Your "salt" should be at 1.0256 -- how are you measuring it?

Did you get it from an LFS or was it shipped to you?

I understand your pain, I have lost a few anemones over the years that upset me too.

broadpaws
10/24/2011, 02:42 PM
Hi

The nem was shipped to us from a reputable fish shop here in the uk, 2 of my other nems were from them in the past, all have done great, and doreensis, also looked good on arrival and looked fab for 48 hours or so then this? Measuring salt with a refractor metre, its not digital, is made by DD - so do you think our salt should higher a touch - we seem to have held this level for some time - and until today no ill effects? What do you think of our other parameters?

Reefing Newbie
10/24/2011, 03:41 PM
Your pH could be up a little bit but I am not sure how your homes O2 and CO2 levels are. Ideally, pH should be around 8.4 for a reef tank setting and as low as 8 for a fish only setting. I am sure if you get your salinity up to 1.025 your pH will go up for you, if not you can get help on that. I think your other perameters check out, I am still new to this like you but I have learned a lot from members like Todd!

I am suprised that you are able to keep all of those nems in the same tank! Normally sucess with more than one species of nems is very low. Does your S. handdoni move around or stay put???

sqwat
10/25/2011, 09:12 AM
you can see the foot was damaged near the top near bottom of oral disc all his fillaments are out trying to heal the damage.he is most likly a goner in a display dank but he might be saved if you have a quarantine tank .i have seen worse make it .we even cut one in half and both halfes made it .the only damage i see is up top there.if you have a light powerhead heater and bucket or qt tank i would give it a try dip it first but not in my display tank.in my one nem tank i have a lta that the tentacles look just like that one when pooping and i have had him for 6 years my longest living one is 11 years.but he has some zoo left and with money being so tight no adays it would be worth a try.also when u have done this and they have pulled threw and survived thay have been the toughest of the anenome and corals i have just seems to make them tougher.gl and post if you succeed.

Toddrtrex
10/25/2011, 09:16 AM
Still would like to see pictures of the M. doreensis that you cut and lived -- seeing how they do not naturally split and there has yet to be any proof of a single person doing this successfully.