PDA

View Full Version : filtration setups for rsm 130

Nautifishy
10/24/2011, 02:20 PM
I just set up a rsm 130 and have been debating on what type of biofilter i should use in my system. i was told by other rsm owners. the included biological filter creates nitrate spikes. Does anyone recommend using bioballs or any other recommendations?

teddyzaper
10/24/2011, 03:22 PM
the redseamax website is blocked on my school computers, so i cant tell what it looks like exactly. I would either leave it empty, put a skimmer in (if it doesnt have one) or make it a place for some cheato (mini refugium). Dont put bioballs or filter floss because they trap nitrates. You could also add a baggy of carbon, a lot of people think that carbon is necessarry in an aquarium.

MonsterTankMan
10/24/2011, 04:02 PM
I use chemi pure elite in the overflow compartment, and did a rubble rock in the return pump area . About every 6 months you should clean the filtration area of debrie , this will help with nitrate and posphate spikes.

Nautifishy
10/24/2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks Teddyzaper. I am using a carbon bag and a protein skimmer. There's a picture of the filtration system from the RSM website.

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/images/Filteration_pic.jpg

This is a description of the layout:
Complete hidden water treatment center

1. Removable inlet grill with adjustable shutter for surface skimming
2. Two stage (course/fine) mechanical filter sponges
3. Professional turbo protein skimmer driven by a 1,200 lph/320 gph pump
4. Compartment for chiller pump
5. Access panel for chiller inlet/outlet tubes
6. Thermostat-controlled heater
7. Highly porous ceramic biological filter media
8. Activated carbon chemical filter media
9. Twin circulation pumps with adjustable direction outlets

Hope this works. Sorry guys I'm new to this. Thanks for the advice

thecodfather
10/25/2011, 07:21 AM
So what you want to change is in compartment 7 correct?

thecodfather
10/25/2011, 07:27 AM
I like monstertankman's idea, but from what i have seen on the rsm, that compartment is somewhat difficult to get your hand down there to pick up the rubble. So what i would do is put the rubble in some sort of a nylon sack so it is easier to pull up when ever you need to service that section. Good luck!!!

Nautifishy
10/25/2011, 07:57 AM
Great idea codfather, reps to montertankman as well. I will look into it and provide pictures