PDA

View Full Version : Are flame angels a good choice for a reef tank?

badreefer
10/25/2011, 07:24 AM
I purchased a flame angel as my first fish in the tank, I then bought a lawn mower blenny, then a powder blue tank. I found the flame angel was bullying the other fish. Anybody know how to decrease his aggression?

ScottB
10/25/2011, 07:54 AM
Add the flame angel last after the tank is established. Obviously, that ship has sailed. You could try rearranging the tank to upset the territorial balance, but mostly I am at a loss.

Raoul5Duke
10/25/2011, 08:02 AM
It will also be hit or miss if it nips at corals. I had one for two years with no problems and then it started nipping at all my LPS and had to go.

prop-frags
10/25/2011, 10:34 AM
I purchased a flame angel as my first fish in the tank, I then bought a lawn mower blenny, then a powder blue tank. I found the flame angel was bullying the other fish. Anybody know how to decrease his aggression?

We added a Flame Angel as the first fish in our old 125g tank many years ago... not the best choice as a first fish, but could have been worse. Using an acclimation box can do wonders to introduce new fish.

That Flame Angel was with us for many years. When we added our Regal Angel, we kept her in the acclimation box for 4 days. Once she was released, the Flame never gave her a second look.

Reefnut2010
10/26/2011, 01:30 AM
I'm sad to say.. I had to get rid of my Regal Angelfish. After it had been such a good fish in my Reef it started going after all my nice expensive corals. I gave him away to a friend, because the LFS where I bought him offered me $15.00 for it. What a joke !! I'll never shop there again. I would have rather they told me they didn't take fish back. Bottom line Angelfish should not go in Reef tanks as they will eventually nip or bite corals. Very large systems may be the exception to the rule. My flame is coming out next !!

reefjunkie42
10/26/2011, 10:06 AM
......except for gencanthius...

Jasanden
10/26/2011, 11:17 AM
No!