PDA

View Full Version : large tank ?s

armison89
10/26/2011, 05:37 AM
im going to be doing a large FOWLR tank it will be a 300DD or a 265 gallon tank.

which tank would be better with these fish?
what size sump should i have? 75 gallons?

1 Arothron Dog Face Puffer (Arothron nigropunctatus)
2 Zebra Moray Eel (Gymnomuraena zebra)
1 Humu Picasso Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus aculeatus)
1 Red Tail Triggerfish (Xanthichthys sp.)
1 Banana Wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens)
1 Pinkface Wrasse (Thalassoma quinquevittatum)
1 Goldbar Wrasse (Thalassoma hebraicum)
1 Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus)
1 Saddleback Butterflyfish (Chaetodon ephippium)
1 Red Flag Grouper (Cephalopholis urodeta)
1 Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)

Ldagger
10/26/2011, 08:47 AM
for a fish only tank I would go with a long and perhaps taller tank. with the fish swimming back and forth this would be more visually appealing, and since you do not have corals getting to the bottom of the tank is not such a major concern. also would add some air stones/feature coming up from the bottom. A long tall tank would not be very wide, and air exchange would not be as good. some of those fish can get big, -- sump size, hmmm well you need a larger skimmer, so the sump would need to be able to hold it if you went internal, which I would, I think I would go with a larger sump- more room for mechanical filters.

Ldagger
10/26/2011, 08:52 AM
a larger sump would also give you a time out place for fish having social issues :) personally I think a larger sump is better due to more stable water params, and the more things you can sit inside your sump ie filters, the less chance of flooding the floor.

Bloke
10/26/2011, 10:37 AM
+1 Larger sump

Dustin1300
10/26/2011, 02:31 PM
I'd go as big as you have space for...The more the water volume the BETTER!

armison89
10/26/2011, 11:30 PM
ok i will get the biggest sump i can. most likely it will be a tank to hold LR and a tank to hold my skimmer and everything else.

why would i want higth over width?

im thinking the 300DD because it has more SQ FT space then the 265. but im not sure thats why i asked.

Dustin1300
10/27/2011, 06:41 AM
why would i want higth over width?

With a FOWLR you want more length and height rather than depth. The fish will get better use of swimming room with a long and high tank if that makes sense.

armison89
10/27/2011, 07:08 AM
so even though the 265 has less sq ft its a better fowlr tank