PDA

View Full Version : Acan food?

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 08:30 AM
Im try to grow out my acan but i dont know what kind food that i need for them.. I used ME shirmp but it seem take forever to grow em ouy.. Any advice on that.. Im only have acan on my tank.. Thanks

nova65ss
10/26/2011, 08:45 AM
Any meaty type of food I used to use mysis but kind of quit feeding them it seems they grow just as fast.

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 08:53 AM
Have any one use this
Fauna Marin LPS pellets??

All Delight
10/26/2011, 10:33 AM
I hear the fauna marin pellets work. I've used them for a few weeks, not long enough to see any results. One thing to keep in mind, you can over feed an acan, so I would recommend you only feed them once every 3 days. Even every other day might be borderline too much. One thing to remember that your params and stability of your tank will have more positive results than simply feeding.

All Delight
10/26/2011, 10:35 AM
In the past I used mysis and it worked fairly good. But it became too time consuming. I have nearly 35 different acans in my tank so it's a lot of work. :lol2:

sqwat
10/26/2011, 10:43 AM
+1 if you feed every three days they will grow like weeds.they like to feed with lites out best .mine are all tentacles at night.but he has some out in the day but definatly eaier at night.are you growing the mysis?or are feeding mysis and not getting any growth out of it?pellets work but are very nutrient packed and corals dont digest them well.work great but only a small amount at a time.if you are not getting anny growth from mysis up the feedings or maybe something wrong with water or acan.chenical warfare?

Thisseemsfishy
10/26/2011, 11:56 AM
I've had great luck with Coral Frenzy, they seem to love it.

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 12:04 PM
In the past I used mysis and it worked fairly good. But it became too time consuming. I have nearly 35 different acans in my tank so it's a lot of work. :lol2:

Ow.... 35?? Damn that alot.. Im only have 10 diff one..:(.. Yeah i read their review and fauna pellets seem work olay.. Reason i ask bc im try to ordet 1 . And their shipping cost like half of price of unit..-/
Thanks alot

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 12:06 PM
I've had great luck with Coral Frenzy, they seem to love it.

Than will try that out too :)

coral2002
10/26/2011, 12:16 PM
I never feed them. They look good. Do I have to?

jbonez
10/26/2011, 12:25 PM
i use rods frozen food

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 12:26 PM
I never feed them. They look good. Do I have to?

U dont have too.. But if u want to grow out ur acan like colony and has nice color.. U should feed them with their own type of food .. Bc i will make em grow faster than normal.. Otherwise it will grow out but very slowly.. Plus depend what kind of acan u have..
Some acan grows faster than others ..

azn_ekin
10/26/2011, 12:29 PM
i use rods frozen food

I used that before.. But it didnt work out well.. So thats im try to use something differences let see how the result.. Rods is not bad thog.. Thanks

reef_lover24881
10/26/2011, 01:15 PM
fauna marin pellets are working great! for me. Ive been using them for a month and can see a differcnce in some of my acans.

nonstopfishies
10/26/2011, 08:05 PM
I hear the fauna marin pellets work. I've used them for a few weeks, not long enough to see any results. One thing to keep in mind, you can over feed an acan, so I would recommend you only feed them once every 3 days. Even every other day might be borderline too much. One thing to remember that your params and stability of your tank will have more positive results than simply feeding.

Where did you get this info? I have never heard this.

What are the problems associated with overfeeding?

Calfo would feed his 5 times a day and his would double every month when he was propagating. He doesn't mention anything about overfeeding in his book.

You have some great looking Acans and I have been tempted on a number of occasions to purchase from you, just haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe some day.

nonstopfishies
10/26/2011, 08:06 PM
Oh, and I forgot. I feed NLS pellets to all my LPS and they seem to enjoy it and grow well with it.

All Delight
10/27/2011, 11:38 AM
Where did you get this info? I have never heard this.

What are the problems associated with overfeeding?

Calfo would feed his 5 times a day and his would double every month when he was propagating. He doesn't mention anything about overfeeding in his book.

You have some great looking Acans and I have been tempted on a number of occasions to purchase from you, just haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe some day.

I was told this by Cherry Corals over feeding was bad, and I've heard it from other vendors as well. I wanna say Captive Reef and Cultivated Reef, but don't hold me to that it's been a while. Cherry Corals farms select acans and from the pieces I've seem come from their farm I value their advice.

Thank you for the compliment on my acans. They are the dominant coral in my tank.

jbonez
10/27/2011, 11:48 AM
heres my acans how do they look?
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/jbonez2008/

endlessblue
10/27/2011, 02:24 PM
Marine fauna LPS pellets also work.

jr973
10/27/2011, 07:53 PM
I personally like to mix it up fauna marin acan/zoa food with coral frenzy add some phytoplankton, caviar,mysis,and black worms. I mix this up in a specimen cup and target feed every other day. My corals love it there is something for everyone in this recipe. I also use the fauna marin lps food but that's seprate

kawicivic
10/28/2011, 06:44 AM
I was told this by Cherry Corals over feeding was bad, and I've heard it from other vendors as well. I wanna say Captive Reef and Cultivated Reef, but don't hold me to that it's been a while. Cherry Corals farms select acans and from the pieces I've seem come from their farm I value their advice.

Thank you for the compliment on my acans. They are the dominant coral in my tank.

I am not trying to start an online way because I don't know whether it is right or wrong, but I can see someone like cherry corals not providing the most accurate information to a hobbyist if they know they are growing them to sell to others.

I have heard both sides of the argument before, but no one seems to be able to prove one way or the other. I suppose it will continue as a mystery.

I don't feed my acans very often but they appear to grow pretty slowly. I used to feed them a lot and had some recession, but I think it was due to the lack of water changes and care due to work travel. I have noticed that in my new tank they have come back strong and I am not going to do anything differently than what I have been doing. currently, that means they get whatever they can catch and they might get some pellets every other week if I am in the mood to get my hands wet or already am doing something in the tank.

sqwat
10/28/2011, 07:22 AM
i think if you dont have a dsb or fuge or allot of live rock you should feed.they wont die but i bet they will like it much better.things can live just above starvation but would you want to.i dont think you can realy over feed them cause they will just not have there feeders out when fumm then how could you feed them more.corals arwe like all animals they never no when they are going to get another meal so they gorge themselves.is this good in the long run i dont no cause i dont do this i feed a little every day.the main prob with overfeeding is nitrates if you do water changes you have no worries and a happy coral is a fed coral.we can only mimic the sun not duplicate it so i think feeding i nessasry.in the wild they might go months without a big meal but they have the sun and phyto and zoo to fall back onmy acans have feeders out all the time i have never come close to over feeding them and im sure it would take allot

Reef Bass
10/28/2011, 07:31 AM
I believe in feeding. They didn't evolved the mouth and tentacles to capture stuff just to look pretty. The ingestion of additional protein allows them to grow faster than relying on photosynthesis alone. Keep in mind that photosynthate is more like energy giving carbohydrate than amino acid containing protein.

mkbtank
10/28/2011, 07:41 AM
+1 for Rods food. every 2-3 days here. (Including All Delight's which are doing great btw :) )

nonstopfishies
10/28/2011, 01:24 PM
I am not trying to start an online way because I don't know whether it is right or wrong, but I can see someone like cherry corals not providing the most accurate information to a hobbyist if they know they are growing them to sell to others.

I have heard both sides of the argument before, but no one seems to be able to prove one way or the other. I suppose it will continue as a mystery.

I don't feed my acans very often but they appear to grow pretty slowly. I used to feed them a lot and had some recession, but I think it was due to the lack of water changes and care due to work travel. I have noticed that in my new tank they have come back strong and I am not going to do anything differently than what I have been doing. currently, that means they get whatever they can catch and they might get some pellets every other week if I am in the mood to get my hands wet or already am doing something in the tank.

I could see what you are getting at here.

After giving it some thought, I don't think you can over feed to the point where it will hurt the Acan.

I do believe that "overfeeding" could lead to a loss in coloration. If the coral is getting plenty of food, it won't rely on the Zoox and will dispel them. This is probably what both Cherry Corals and All Delight are referring too.

kayl
10/28/2011, 02:21 PM
I could see what you are getting at here.

After giving it some thought, I don't think you can over feed to the point where it will hurt the Acan.

I do believe that "overfeeding" could lead to a loss in coloration. If the coral is getting plenty of food, it won't rely on the Zoox and will dispel them. This is probably what both Cherry Corals and All Delight are referring too.

Only way you can overfeed is my book is to the point that your WQ suffers because of it!

acro76
10/29/2011, 12:56 AM
The reason we suggest feeding in moderation is that artificial, "man made" foods can have very high concentrations of nutrients (which is good, it does not need to be fed 5x per day!). Also, a prepared food that is not live begins to decay and be consumed by bacteria much faster than live foods in the wild. We have seen occasional problems with corals ingesting large quantities of artificial foods and then they are unable to process the food fast enough, resulting in a white film on the food in the mouth of the coral. If this is not cleared out of the corals by strong flow it can decay and negatively impact the coral. So either feeding a few times per week or small quantities is what we recommend.

kawicivic
10/30/2011, 10:39 PM
The reason we suggest feeding in moderation is that artificial, "man made" foods can have very high concentrations of nutrients (which is good, it does not need to be fed 5x per day!). Also, a prepared food that is not live begins to decay and be consumed by bacteria much faster than live foods in the wild. We have seen occasional problems with corals ingesting large quantities of artificial foods and then they are unable to process the food fast enough, resulting in a white film on the food in the mouth of the coral. If this is not cleared out of the corals by strong flow it can decay and negatively impact the coral. So either feeding a few times per week or small quantities is what we recommend.

Thank you for your input!

All Delight
10/31/2011, 09:32 PM
I don't feed my acans very often but they appear to grow pretty slowly. I used to feed them a lot and had some recession, but I think it was due to the lack of water changes and care due to work travel.

Come to think of it, back when I used to feed on a regular basis, like almost everyday, I did have future problems with polyps receeding. Over the last couple years I don't feed anymore, and I haven't encountered receeding issues.

hermesfansf
11/01/2011, 01:57 AM
Have any one use this
Fauna Marin LPS pellets??

I have been using it for a while. I think it really boosts up the color of my scoly, not that much on the Acan.

All Delight
11/01/2011, 11:46 AM
I have been using it for a while. I think it really boosts up the color of my scoly, not that much on the Acan.

How long have you been using it? Several months?

endlessblue
11/01/2011, 12:37 PM
I have been using be fauna pellets for about 6 months. I'd say 4-5 baby heads have grown from my acan, under T5s. I also use the pellets on pretty much all other LPS along with a variety if frozen and dry.

hermesfansf
11/01/2011, 03:05 PM
How long have you been using it? Several months?

I have been using it for more than 3 months now. I also feed my corals with Rod's frozen food, FUEL by aquavitro, and Phyto. I like the pellets a lot more as the scoly opens it's mouth instantly, also they do not pollute the water that much. I basically just put the pellets at the center of it's mouth when the light is off. FUEL is nice too especially for the mouthless corals:-) Rod's Frozen food is fed occasionally when i feel like the entire tank needs some meaty food.

sbtdark
11/20/2011, 03:57 PM
Spot feed at least twice a week. I use picene mysis and Cyclop peeze, works great!