75G

Current list:
2 Clarki clowns
Sailfin tang
1 green chromis
6 line
lawnmower
tailspot

A royal gramma, or maybe a bicolor dottyback(mean enough to deal with the female Clarki), will be added. And something else or two.

I tried a Lamarck's female but the clown beat her down and she died this am.

I'd like something pretty, hardy, and able to defend itself against the clown. I was thinking a flame angel but worry about it nipping my clams or other corals. Same for an Eibli angel.
I was thinking a coris or another type of wrasse but worry about them jumping.

Any ideas?

clowntriggerfis
10/26/2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry but the sailfin will get way to big for your tank.

TheFishTeen
10/26/2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry but the sailfin will get way to big for your tank.

I agree. You would be surprised how large sailfins get.

Robb in Austin
10/26/2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for that info.

Now, to my question...

TheFishTeen
10/26/2011, 09:12 PM
Ever considered a Blue Spotted Jawfish, Opistognathus rosenblatti?

How about a Copperband Butterflyfish Chelmon rostratus? (May nip at corals but is beautiful and does not require all too much room.)

EDIT: There's also a nice selection the Pygmy (Centropyge) Angels...also a risk but sometimes it's a risk worth taking.

Stumped
10/27/2011, 12:11 AM
75G

Current list:
2 Clarki clowns
Sailfin tang
1 green chromis
6 line
lawnmower
tailspot

A royal gramma, or maybe a bicolor dottyback(mean enough to deal with the female Clarki), will be added. And something else or two.

I tried a Lamarck's female but the clown beat her down and she died this am.

I'd like something pretty, hardy, and able to defend itself against the clown. I was thinking a flame angel but worry about it nipping my clams or other corals. Same for an Eibli angel.
I was thinking a coris or another type of wrasse but worry about them jumping.

Any ideas?

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I wouldn't add anything else to your tank. I personally would consider that pretty heavily stocked and the fact your clowns already killed a Lamarck's should be proof enough of that.

Realistically you've got a pair of reasonably aggressive/territorial clowns with the clarkiis, a 6 line wrasse and a tang. That's a lot of attitude already for a 75g. If you go ahead and add any fish I'd never consider adding another angel if you already lost one due to aggression. If you're absolutely 100% set on adding another fish, I would suggest something like maybe a flame hawkfish. Lower risk of jumping, a substrate dweller, and different enough from everything you already have that it might be able to settle in without being harassed to death.

Also, I want to add that you definitely should not take the suggestions in the post above and attempt to add them to your tank. Blue spotted jawfish are notorious jumpers. I presume your tank is uncovered (since you mention youre worried about wrasses jumping) and it's a guarantee the BSJ will jump. Copperband butterflies are known to be fragile and very difficult to get eating. Adding one to a tank that already has signs of aggression is a recipe for disaster. They are not a hardy fish and it's difficult enough to find a healthy specimen that is eating.

Robb in Austin
10/27/2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I had considered that I'm full but you know how we all want 'just one or two more'. ;)

Ditto on the BSJ and CBB.

nonstopfishies
10/27/2011, 05:15 PM
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I wouldn't add anything else to your tank. I personally would consider that pretty heavily stocked and the fact your clowns already killed a Lamarck's should be proof enough of that.

Realistically you've got a pair of reasonably aggressive/territorial clowns with the clarkiis, a 6 line wrasse and a tang. That's a lot of attitude already for a 75g. If you go ahead and add any fish I'd never consider adding another angel if you already lost one due to aggression. If you're absolutely 100% set on adding another fish, I would suggest something like maybe a flame hawkfish. Lower risk of jumping, a substrate dweller, and different enough from everything you already have that it might be able to settle in without being harassed to death.

Also, I want to add that you definitely should not take the suggestions in the post above and attempt to add them to your tank. Blue spotted jawfish are notorious jumpers. I presume your tank is uncovered (since you mention youre worried about wrasses jumping) and it's a guarantee the BSJ will jump. Copperband butterflies are known to be fragile and very difficult to get eating. Adding one to a tank that already has signs of aggression is a recipe for disaster. They are not a hardy fish and it's difficult enough to find a healthy specimen that is eating.

+1 I very much agree with this.

How big is the sailfin currently?

If the sailfin is getting to a size that it needs to be pulled, then I think you could add a different fish.

29reef
10/27/2011, 06:23 PM
I would suggest next time you wish to add a fish to your tank you go ahead and do the research and take proper measures to make sure it is healthy and strong; QT your new fish. The angel likely would not have died if it were healthy.

Having said that, I would remove the 6 line and replace with some flasher wrasses. I suggest you possibly replace the sailfin tang with a bristletooth species, that are much more suited for a 75 gallon tank.

The clowns will become a problem for you and your fish once they start breeding. I've even seen some nasty percula clowns; so maybe clowns aren't the best choice. If you can't keep away from a clown pair; some tank raised percula will likely be a bit more mild mannered.

A trio of anthias would work well if you were interested I could give some species suggestions.

I agree with others that if you want to add to the tank it's a good idea to change up what's already in the tank.

Robb in Austin
10/27/2011, 07:35 PM
The sailfin is about 4-5".

The six line is only about 1.5" and is the most recent addition.

The Lamarck's was healthy, eating well, fat, no disease signs, but the momma clown would not leave her alone. I put her in a breeder box to isolate her, and she seemed to be doing ok, but alas...

The clowns have been together for 3+ years and AFAIK have not been breeding. I've never seen eggs and have never seen them defending an area.

Thanks to the talk about the tang getting too big, I've gotten the itch for an upgrade.