PDA

View Full Version : Is this stuff bad?

Dickpnp
10/27/2011, 06:44 PM
this started out about a week ago and it is spreading. i noticed tonight that a snail was going through it and it looks kinda like a web or slime. Being new i have no idea if this is bad for my tank or just ugly. Thanks for the help.

http://dick.pnplan.com/redstuff.jpg

briankmarsh1980
10/27/2011, 06:49 PM
Ok who dumped the grape jelly in there? Lol
It's cyanobacteria it's not good it feeds off of excess nutrients and is very common in a new tank

Try to manually remove it the best you can

Dustin1300
10/27/2011, 09:08 PM
Excess nutrients and lots of times too little water movement. What kind of water movement do you have and what sized tank is it?

Manta034
10/28/2011, 08:06 AM
Definitely cyanobacteria, or cyano for short. There is tons of info on here for dealing with it. Try do a search for it and you'll probably find all the info you nee. I just got done dealing with a several month long battle with it. Combating cyano can be frustrating but the battle can be won!

rizon25
10/28/2011, 08:32 AM
I had this problem in my 2 month old tank too but I added more flow and the red slime went away. I also reduced my feedings.

sqwat
10/28/2011, 09:46 AM
+1 on more flow and get youre phos and nitrate down.if you want a band aid wile you get evrything in check conche love cycno.also if you find one that is in salt water ,scats eat cyno to.pretty cool fish to add to a reef also i never hear of them as much anymore the silver spotted or green ones are cool looking.can live in both salt and fresh