PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer- AquaC Remora HOB v Aquamaxx AM100

drtechno
10/28/2011, 10:37 AM
Quick question since I am considering upgrading my skimmer (currently an AquaC remora HOB)..

Am I going to see a noticeable improvement in skimming quality if I go to an Aquamaxx AM100 ?? (Thats the only one that will fit skimmer compartment is 12x6.5")

drtechno
10/28/2011, 02:30 PM
Running on a 80 gal total system volume

haikufriday
10/29/2011, 02:11 AM
This is strictly anecdotal, but you would probably notice a difference based on the difference of technology used. I used a Remora and it got the job done, but i always felt that the skimmate could be darker. Once I switched to a needle wheel type skimmer I started getting a more concentrated and "dirtier" skim. Like I said, anecdotal at best...

I would say that unless you are experiencing specific problems, I'd stick with the Remora. It's not a bad skimmer overall.

drtechno
10/29/2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Haiku. Just having trouble keeping my nitrates down with a minimal fish load (2 small 1.5" gobies, 1 clown, 1 basslet) in an 80 gal volume.. 1/2 live rock is 4+ yrs old and 1/2 is only 2 months old. Weekly water changes of ~10% (5gal). 1xday feedings or even every other day.

Still getting some microalgae on the acrylic requiring weekly scraping, so I was thinking I have an organics problem. (nitrates reading 0 and phosphates near 0 but I'm assuming its being eaten by the algae)

msayani2
10/30/2011, 11:09 AM
Based on my experience with aquac, customer service is awesome, the products are well built but I would go for aquamaxx as the technology is much newer and I have heard great things about their quality of product. The spray injection tech in my experience (6 yrs) has not been great with consistency.

So, imo - aquamaxx..

RattlerSkin
11/03/2011, 12:45 PM
I have an AM100 and I love the quality of it. It is taking a while to break in right now, but it is very quiet (I hear my MP40 more than the skimmer) and is designed very well.