PDA

View Full Version : Old Sand

Prince916
10/29/2011, 01:18 AM
I have some old sand that has been sitting in the sun all summer long. Can i rinse it out real good and re use it? Or would it be better if i buy new sand?

Prince916
10/30/2011, 12:21 AM

whipsaw
10/30/2011, 12:45 AM
Old sand as in previously-used-in-an-aquarium sand?
If so I wouldn't.

Old sand like in a bag never used and sitting outside?
sure.

Old sand like you shook out your socks in the yard after going to the beach a few times and made a little pile of sand on the dirt which is now home to countless beetles, plants and earthworms?
just buy some new sand.

Ron Reefman
10/30/2011, 05:34 AM
I have some old sand that has been sitting in the sun all summer long. Can i rinse it out real good and re use it? Or would it be better if i buy new sand?

Define 'old sand' for us. play sand, aquarium sand, dry, wet, in container, laying in the yard?

If it's old sand that came out of your tank, wash it completely, let it soak for a day or two and wash again. That should remove any dried in detritus. If it's any other kind of sand, I wouldn't use it.

elegance coral
10/30/2011, 09:23 AM
It depends on your budget. If you can afford it, it's much easier to just buy new sand. If not, you can clean it.

I have cleaned old dry sand by placing it in a pillow case, tying the end, and tumbling it. This causes the grains to grind together, dislodging any dried organic matter attached to the grains. Then rinse it very very very very well. If you can put it in a bucket of water, stir up the sand, and the water stays clear, the sand is clean.

shifty51008
10/30/2011, 09:42 AM
How to Rinse and Reuse an Old Sandbed

http://www.****************/content.php/258-How-to-Rinse-and-Reuse-an-Old-Sandbed

shifty51008
10/30/2011, 09:48 AM
sorry that site is banned

allsps40
10/30/2011, 10:53 AM
As long as nothing bad got into the sand and you clean it very very very well you will be fine to use it. I have recycled old reef sand many times and as long as it was cleaned I had no issues. There are people that are like never use old sand but think about it the sand we buy is not "new" it has been sitting on the bottom of a reef for who knows how any thousands of years.