PDA

View Full Version : Berquist Thermal Pad

wood0691
10/29/2011, 05:29 AM
is that all that i need to attach my LED's to the heatsink? i didnt want the scew heads showing and thought this would be a cleaner look. after sleeping on it lastnight i got worried it wasnt going to work or would fall off.
and do these keep the LED's fom grounding out?

wood0691
10/29/2011, 09:10 AM
did i ask to hard of a question or is it too stupid for me to ask?

heathsanders
10/29/2011, 09:41 AM
I ended up using thermal epoxy for better thermal transfer than the pads, but the thermal pads will work. Just make sure to clean the heatsink and LEDs with alcohol really well before use.

wood0691
10/29/2011, 10:10 AM
I ended up using thermal epoxy for better thermal transfer than the pads, but the thermal pads will work. Just make sure to clean the heatsink and LEDs with alcohol really well before use.

cool thanks for the reply heathsanders, i may get the epoxy just to be on the safe side.

nstiesi
11/07/2011, 10:41 AM
bergquist pad is not an adhesive, it wont hold the led by itself.

wood0691
11/07/2011, 11:11 AM
bergquist pad is not an adhesive, it wont hold the led by itself.

Rapidled said thats all i would need.....
ive got 36 mounted so far and cant pull them off so i dont see a problem unless you know something thy dont.

TheFishMan65
11/07/2011, 11:36 AM
It will hold, some pads don't have the adhesive on the heat transfer mechanism.

I have to ask. You don't like the screws showing, but how are you hiding the wires?

wood0691
11/07/2011, 11:47 AM
It will hold, some pads don't have the adhesive on the heat transfer mechanism.

I have to ask. You don't like the screws showing, but how are you hiding the wires?

it was the fact that i couldnt come up with any screws that wouldnt rust was the problem. lowes didnt have anything and thats the only place close by me other than a little hardware store that dont have much to choose from either. the wires look like this, a big mess...
ive still gt the CW's to put on and get wired in also.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/wood0691/IMG_3974.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/wood0691/IMG_3973.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/wood0691/IMG_3978.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy137/wood0691/IMG_3976.jpg

nstiesi
11/07/2011, 12:00 PM
nvm

wood0691
11/07/2011, 12:08 PM
if they fail then i'll go back to rapid and have them fix the problem. this is what they sent me saying it would be all that is needed.

"Yes, the thermal pads are double-sided tape so they are all you'd need. There should be no shorting to the heatsink provided your soldering/wiring is clean, though they are not any more likely to short than using thermal adhesive. "

rwb500
11/07/2011, 12:12 PM
Use sekisui thermal tape. It can be bought on eBay for a great price in reasonable quantities. It is mainly used for CPU's, which transfer more heat per square inch than 3w led's. And it sticks reallllly well. After a heat cycle, I had to chisel the led's off of the heatsink, using a hammer to hit the chisel.

skunkmere
11/07/2011, 12:13 PM
what if it happens after the Warranty period if there is any.

wood0691
11/07/2011, 12:19 PM
ok yall are screwing me up here......I already have 36 mounted on the heatsink and cant pull them off so what should i do? hammer and chisel or wait and see what happens?
cant find any screws that i feel like will work plus they will rust and thats not what i want. the rust i feel like will be a big problem.

TheFishMan65
11/07/2011, 12:22 PM
It will be fine. I was able to find some stainless steel screws. I get to worry about galvanic action (I think that is the right term) corroding the 2 metals.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/07/2011, 12:47 PM
Leave the LEDs. The material they use is totally fine.

wood0691
11/07/2011, 12:57 PM
It will be fine. I was able to find some stainless steel screws. I get to worry about galvanic action (I think that is the right term) corroding the 2 metals.

i cant see how to put any screws on them. there isnt much room between the + and - term's not to ground out.

Leave the LEDs. The material they use is totally fine.

im leaving it like it is, if they do fall off then i'll deal with that bridge if it shows up. Thanks for the reasurment.

Devaji108
11/07/2011, 01:02 PM
a bit off topic. but how do you like your Rapid controller. I see you got the remote one...
why that and not a reefkeeper?? been thinking about it too...

der_wille_zur_macht
11/07/2011, 01:13 PM
i cant see how to put any screws on them. there isnt much room between the + and - term's not to ground out.

Typically people use a nylon washer between the head of the screw and the top surface of the MCPCB. I agree though, it is a tenuous proposition to have a big huge (metal) screw head mere millimeters from a solder pad.

wood0691
11/07/2011, 01:22 PM
a bit off topic. but how do you like your Rapid controller. I see you got the remote one...
why that and not a reefkeeper?? been thinking about it too...

well the remote dont have the D3 button on it but i really dont know yet cause ive have yet to really figure it out. im more than likely going to just keep it manual for a while until i can get a good understanding of the remote.
but the D3 (day light mode #3) has got me, well really all the day light controlling feature has got my head hurting.
I didnt know about the reefkeeper until after the fact.

hllywd
11/07/2011, 08:16 PM
I have the same thermal pads on a 12 LED demo I did at a local club, they hold fine. You'll have no problems that are caused by the pads themselves.

what if it happens after the Warranty period if there is any.
Warranty period for what skunkmere? I doubt there's going to be much of a warranty on the components once they're mounted, and soldered.

Tim

TheFishMan65
11/08/2011, 08:08 AM
Screws take some getting used to, but it is all I use. I screw them down and solder the wire on. On trick is to use the two pads that are not touching screws, it makes soldering easier. I saw pictures of one build where the person placed the screw between the two pads (some stars of 6 pads some 4), and it did not leave much room for soldering.

wood0691
11/08/2011, 08:22 AM
Screws take some getting used to, but it is all I use. I screw them down and solder the wire on. On trick is to use the two pads that are not touching screws, it makes soldering easier. I saw pictures of one build where the person placed the screw between the two pads (some stars of 6 pads some 4), and it did not leave much room for soldering.

i cant see enough room for any screws on these, the terminals are real close, i may regret it in the end but live and learn.

TheFishMan65
11/08/2011, 09:48 AM
You don't need both - you'll be fine. If you check my album you can see some of my pictures, not sure how well the screw show.