PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI sediment filter (1 micron) does not catch particles in my water

CTaylor
10/29/2011, 08:59 AM
Hi,
What should I do? The debris is passing on to my 1st of two carbon blocks, and plugging it in a few weeks. It's $15 a pop. I don't think it should be replaced but every 6 months (from previous experience). This has happened since I moved. Apparently there are particles the sediment filter can not catch.

Would using granular carbon be better for my 1st (of 2) stage carbon filters? Maybe the granules can slow the particles, making them settle, before they reach the 2nd stage of carbon (carbon block)? I'm doing this now, since the 1st stage carbon block became plugged up... I am using LFS marine land carbon for now.

I have changed the sediment filter four times. So I'm pretty sure it's not defective sediment filters (or carbon blocks, they have also been changed a few times lately).

Thanks in advance

CTaylor
10/31/2011, 02:14 PM
anyone have an idea?
My 2nd stage of carbon (the carbon block) is now becoming blocked already (the pressure guage went from 62 to 57 psi in the last few days : (

CTaylor
11/01/2011, 03:27 PM
I thought of using diatomaceous earth (in it's own chamber) after the polysediment filter. Would this be effective in removing very fine particles that the sediment filter is not removing?

Thanks

billwill
11/01/2011, 06:03 PM
What brand of prefilter are you using? Are you positive it's a 1 micron? Are you sure you're getting a good seal with the new prefilter and it's not bypassing? I'd suggest troubleshooting your canister a little better because if it's a 1 micron filter nothing larger than 1 micron can get past it; which means your carbon block should be pretty much unaffected (unless they are 1 micron also).

CTaylor
11/01/2011, 06:10 PM
I'm quite sure the seal is good. I've put in the sediment filters same as always. This last time I cleaned off where it goes into the the bottom and top holes of the filter (they were clean anyhow). Still my pressure is currently dropping and the sediment filter is white.

I don't know the brand, but it is sold by www.thefilterguys.biz
at this link:
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/filters.htm
It's the one micron filter towards the bottom of the page.

CTaylor
11/01/2011, 06:11 PM
I'm not saying anything larger than 1 micron is getting past. It's apparently debris smaller than 1 micron (dirty tap water).

dahenley
11/01/2011, 09:20 PM
where are you from?
do you use Chloramines?

i live in chloramines territory... and if you use chlorine filters, it will cause a slime/buildup/film that plugs the carbon blocks.

have you talked with the filter guys to see what they say?

Arthur1
11/02/2011, 07:24 AM
Are your carbon blocks also rated at 1 micron or could they be rated differently? If chloramines are not the source of your problems and the seal is good on your sediment filter, go down to a .5 micron sediment filter.

Buckeye Hydro
11/20/2011, 07:48 AM
Hi,
What should I do? The debris is passing on to my 1st of two carbon blocks, and plugging it in a few weeks. It's $15 a pop. I don't think it should be replaced but every 6 months (from previous experience). This has happened since I moved. Apparently there are particles the sediment filter can not catch.

Would using granular carbon be better for my 1st (of 2) stage carbon filters? Maybe the granules can slow the particles, making them settle, before they reach the 2nd stage of carbon (carbon block)? I'm doing this now, since the 1st stage carbon block became plugged up... I am using LFS marine land carbon for now.

I have changed the sediment filter four times. So I'm pretty sure it's not defective sediment filters (or carbon blocks, they have also been changed a few times lately).

Thanks in advance

What is the pore size (in microns) of your carbon block?

Russ