PDA

View Full Version : RSM 130 dosing

Alex_m
10/29/2011, 04:52 PM
I am looking for feedback as to what everyone is using to dose their nanos, forgive me if I posted this on the wrong section and if this belongs in the nano section please feel free to move this over there.

Cheers!

HighlandReefer
10/30/2011, 08:02 AM
The same goals apply for nano tanks (smaller water volumes) as do larger volume tanks. Maintaining proper water parameters for smaller volumes of tank water can be more challenging. For example overdoses (mistakes) are easier since the lower water volumes are less forgiving. ;)

That said, you need to maintain (dose) alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Proper fish feeding will supply everything else you need. The amount you need to dose will depend on how quickly your occupants use them up. The salt mix used can make a difference, since many contain high levels of alk, calcium and mag, which means you need to dose less between water changes. You will need good quality test kits to determine how much you need to dose. The store bought products are numerous or you can use Randy's Do-it-yourself alk, calcium and mag supplements which are cheaper.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

You can use the Reef Chemistry Calculator to determine how much of each supplement you need to bring your levels to the normal range. Keep in mind that your total water volume which you guess at is important and may need adjusting depending on the results of your additions. I would start with say 1/3 the amount needed and then re-test after the water has circulated for a couple hrs. Then make adjustments to match your results. :)

Reef chemicals calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Alex_m
10/30/2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in such detail! It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

HighlandReefer
10/31/2011, 05:13 AM
You're welcome. ;)