PDA

View Full Version : Tubastrea question

Fin Mike
10/30/2011, 08:21 AM
I just picked up two frags of Sun coral from my LFS and they are on their last leg. Typically, they haven't been feed (possibly for months) and have receded quite significantly.

My question is this: Once a polyp has died and its coralite is vacant, is it possible for the coral to repopulate the dead coralite skeleton and reform a new polyp?

Aquabacs
10/31/2011, 09:07 PM
I just picked up two frags of Sun coral from my LFS and they are on their last leg. Typically, they haven't been feed (possibly for months) and have receded quite significantly.

My question is this: Once a polyp has died and its coralite is vacant, is it possible for the coral to repopulate the dead coralite skeleton and reform a new polyp?

Now if there is any tissue left on the coralite it could form a new polyp and eventually grow over the old skeleton. You would be surprised how resilient tubastrea are...growing a colony back from the tiniest of polyps...if you are patient enough.

Mike

Fin Mike
10/31/2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I just pulled both pieces out to give them the "bowl" feeding. Most of the polyps are just absolutely pathetic looking. I got all of the polyps to eat but two. I inspected the vacant coralite, and I don't think there is any tissue left. Bummer because it is one of the biggest ones, and its right in the middle of the piece. No worries though. I'll bring him back.
As a side note, it always amazes me how fast they can suck the food down, especially when they have no tentacles to catch and hold the food.

slapshot
10/31/2011, 11:13 PM
With care it will grow over the dead one. They come back fast.

Fin Mike
11/01/2011, 07:29 AM
With care it will grow over the dead one. They come back fast.

Thanks for the input. So when I bring it back, if the tissue forms over the bald coralite, will it form a new polyp? Don't mean to :deadhorse1: