PDA

View Full Version : 3g JBJ picotope research

Jenna Ann
10/31/2011, 08:34 AM
I have a 3g picotope heavily planted freshwater tank with a Betta. Its doing beautifully after 11 months and practically runs itself. I really enjoy the design of the picotope tanks so have decided to set one up as a pico reef. I've had reef tanks before and am WELL aware of what's involved. I'm going to modify a AC70 into a fuge/sump. I want to slowly build it into a mixed reef. I haven't decided whether to try an appropriate fish in the future. (IF there are any appropriate to this size of tank.) As always, my hang-up is the lights. I've used T5's in the past and would consider it again. But I'd REALLY prefer to go LED this time. I could DIY something but would rather not. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Par38 bulb at Rapid LEDs. But I've been out of reef keeping for a few years now so before I make any decisions, I'd like to know if there are any exceptional LED fixtures out there for a 3g picotope that I'm not currently aware of. I'm also looking for suggestions for lamps that might hold the Par38.

Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Jenna Ann
10/31/2011, 08:38 AM
I should point out that I'd like to grow corals of a wide variety of lighting requirements including more light hungry varieties.

nano427
10/31/2011, 01:27 PM
Im using a boostled par 30 bulb and one of their lamp clamps on my pico. I went with a 4 blue and 1 white led. It is pretty blue but looks great, but if you don't like that look I'd recommend a 3b 2w combo. All of the lps and softies in there look great. I only have 2 small sps in there right now but the bulb seems to be more than enough to keep them happy.

Jenna Ann
10/31/2011, 02:26 PM
I'm glad you mentioned boostled. I had a look at their stuff and really like their reef lamp clamp.