PDA

View Full Version : Little more info on QT

levischilz
10/31/2011, 10:28 AM
Well after and unfortunate series of events im setting up a QT to try and save whats left of my tank from ich.

Im debating between copper and hypo im leaning towards hypo.

I have a few quick questions if anyone can give me some info that would be great.

How long do i keep the fish in hypo for treatment.
I would assume I start with the same salinity as my DT and lower it slowly.
From what I understand its fish only so my other main question is i have a cleaner shrimp and some queen conch's and snails and reef hermit crabs also 1 starfish do any of those need QT.
My other main question is bio load in hypo does it kill off bacteria?
I currently already have a 29 and and wondering if that will work atm for QT i have 1 blue hippo tank 1 cleaner wrasse and 1 6 line wrasse and 1 goby small so 4 fish total i need to QT.

Only other thoughts are air stone or no>? i hear it will raise ammonia?
temps? same as DT?

Thanks for your help Levi:sad2::sad2:

peasofme
11/01/2011, 07:10 AM
reefland.com

frankpayne32
11/01/2011, 07:16 AM
IMO use copper not hypo. Hypo can be hit or miss IME, whereas copper seems to always get the job done. You should not treat your invertebrates (shrimps, snails, etc.). They do not carry ich and will die in a hypo or copper QT tank. A 29 will probably be too small for the hippo tang to survive in, but maybe not. Airstones are fine but not necessary, just a good hang on back or sponge filter will work well. Just make sure the QT tank is cycled before you dump all the fish in. If not, you will have to do large (50%) water changes every day to keep the ammonia down. Best of luck.

KhanhQ83
11/01/2011, 07:18 AM
hey Levi. I had to go through the same as you couple months ago. Ich killed half of my fishes so finally I decided to QT and treat them. After much research, I felt that hypo method is easier, I'm sure there are others who disagree. You have to keep the fish in hypo from 6 to 8 weeks. Low salinity will kill everything else except your fish so you don't want inverts in the QT besides inverts don't get infected with ich anyway, only fish do. During this time your main tank also needs to be fishless so the parasite will die out without hosts (fishes). Low your salinity slowly to 1.009 and keep it there, you'll get some ammonia that's why its important to do regular pwc. Depending on the size of your hippo, a 29 might be a little small. HTH good luck!

jlylec
11/01/2011, 07:22 AM
Well after and unfortunate series of events im setting up a QT to try and save whats left of my tank from ich.

Im debating between copper and hypo im leaning towards hypo.

I have a few quick questions if anyone can give me some info that would be great.

How long do i keep the fish in hypo for treatment.
I would assume I start with the same salinity as my DT and lower it slowly.
From what I understand its fish only so my other main question is i have a cleaner shrimp and some queen conch's and snails and reef hermit crabs also 1 starfish do any of those need QT.
My other main question is bio load in hypo does it kill off bacteria?
I currently already have a 29 and and wondering if that will work atm for QT i have 1 blue hippo tank 1 cleaner wrasse and 1 6 line wrasse and 1 goby small so 4 fish total i need to QT.

Only other thoughts are air stone or no>? i hear it will raise ammonia?
temps? same as DT?

Thanks for your help Levi:sad2::sad2:

I am by no means an expert, but I had the same issue and researched this a lot before setting up my QT.

-I didn't run hypo, so I don't know for sure, but I know I read to lower slowly and raise back up slowly. Pretty much the same with anything in this hobby...don't ever shock.
-with that in mind same salinity…you could probably start lowering the salinity in the DT a little to shorten the overall time.
-pretty sure ich only affects fish
-not sure about bio load
-I had 4 fish in at 40B including a tang and it seemed fine. think about the little tanks they are held in in fish stores. 29 would be fine.
-i run two air driven sponge filters and change 10% of the water every day or 2...never any ammonia problems and the sponges house beneficial bacteria since there is no sand or rock in there.
-same temp as DT always

Good luck man...once you get the DT set up you'll be glad you did. I'm so less stressed now knowing I have somewhere else to put my fish if something bad happens!

levischilz
11/01/2011, 08:14 AM
the copper kills the sponge correct? and copper is treated for 2 weeks?

I had a 29g tank and yesterday pulled it out of basement and it got cracked...

Im looking on craigslist for a used setup and thought 55 would be good but after this most of the time the tank will just have 1 little fish in it which then seems overkill.

levischilz
11/01/2011, 08:23 AM
1 other main question I just thought of was using some extra live rock i have sitting in my sump. I bought a sponge filter but it has only been in my sump for a few days. If i snag a couple small pieces of live rock could i just use that to get start so I can get my DT fallow.

I would then plan to throw the LR away or bleach it and use it later for the QT only. ( if I got hypo ) if i use copper ill trash it just wondering if a couple smaller pieces would work like 5-6" pieces

Last thought that would be good info is QT of coral mostly, Do i need to purchase some expensive fixture to QT coral and for how long should coral be QT?

I dont want to deal with this again....