PDA

View Full Version : skimmer suggestions

sniper87
11/02/2011, 06:46 PM
I am looking to upgrade my skimmer soon and was looking for something reasonable in price and works very well. I currently have an ETSS reef devil that has been working pretty good so far, but I have noticed it is not skimming as much out of the tank as it used to and my parameters are starting to show it. My current tank is a 140 display and a 40 gal sump, but total volume is about 165 gallons. any help would be great. thanks RC

viggen
11/02/2011, 07:40 PM
Possibly your feed pump isn't pushing enough water any more? Is the air intake & bio balls all clean?

How much are you willing to spend? To some reasonably priced might be $300 while others are willing to throw $1500 at a skimmer

Juiced19
11/02/2011, 07:45 PM
Reef Octopus are good skimmers for your money.

sniper87
11/02/2011, 08:31 PM
The feed pump is only 4 months old so I do not think that is the problem, but I could be wrong. I know that much like anything in life you will get what you pay for it, but I am not looking to break the bank on buying just a skimmer. My budget would probably be between 300 and 500 dollars.

cesare
11/02/2011, 08:38 PM
i would like to here this too
i'm kind of in the same boat 125g display 55g sump 10g ref.

soverjas
11/02/2011, 08:48 PM
I like SWC skimmers for the money although they been getting blasted allot lately on RC. Mine has performed flawlessly.

sniper87
11/02/2011, 08:52 PM
What have they been blasted on about? Poor workmanship or just poor performance? I have just recently gotten back on here so I am a little bit behind.

sniper87
11/02/2011, 08:57 PM
What are some decent sites to go looking for information? I do not mind doing my own research to see which one will be better for me.

scarface70706
11/02/2011, 10:07 PM
google works wonders. just type in the brand and model of the skimmer and note at the end "review". you will find what your looking for. I also recommend reef octopus skimmers; check out their new skimmer called the diablo! i would have bought this skimmer but it came out 2 weeks after i bought my reef octopus xs 160 skimmer :( dont you hate it when that happens. oh well im very satisfied with my skimmer!

sniper87
11/03/2011, 08:23 PM
I have been using google, but I am not sure of all the name brands to be looking up. I know the major players like Deltec and Bubble King, but I do not feel like spending that much money on my small tank. I think it would be better to get that stuff on my bigger tank when I get my wife to let me upgrade. Until then I want to get my current one running the best I can

markgm87
11/03/2011, 08:33 PM
I like reef octopus. Very well built slimmers for the money

viggen
11/03/2011, 09:38 PM
there is TONS of info on this site, you can read through various skimmer club threads & also threads in a few of the vendors on this site. Premium Aquatics, JRAquatics & several others...... you can also look for posts my I think mojo or something like that......

I just went the used route on my 210g, purchased a used Euro Reef rs250 for about $160 shipped. It's pulling out a lot of stuff out of my tank & I think I am going to mod it a little, make it a recirc skimmer since I can't get my water level to the 8ish inches it needs.

I would also just visit some of the sponsors websites & look at the skimmers they offer. Bubble blaster, eheim, Laguna & red dragon are some of the better skimmer pumps out there. Also consider reef dynamics skimmers, they are the newer version of the euro reef's I use, made in the states & just very solid skimmers.