PDA

View Full Version : macro in DT

Eric B 125
11/02/2011, 09:45 PM
i have recently developed a macro algae problem in my DT. from what i can tell it is all stemming from one rock that is now covered in caulerpa, halimeda, and some other kind of macro. thing is: its a nice, big piece of LR and has a colony of zoas on it. I was thinking of just boiling it until at my last reef club Calfo reminded me of palytoxins that would be released by the zoas.

i clearly need to get my phosphates and nitrates under control; both of which i believe are coming from a kati/ani unit that is way overdue for a re-charge. as far as the macro is concerned, is this something that can be corrected with a lot of pruning and water changes? i've never had a problem with macro algae before and i thank you for your help.

Zappo
11/02/2011, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about palytoxin. Just don't lick your zoas, wash up after touching them, and try not to handle them more than you have to. Boiling them is probably more risky, but not really needed. Setting it in the sun will accomplish the same thing without the risk of vaporizing toxins and sending them into the air you're breathing.

Depending on how solid the rock is, you should be able to chisel them off before nuking the algae. If the algae is not on other rocks then removing it from the tank is the safest way to be sure it doesn't grow back. Pruning may work, but caulerpa can sink it's roots pretty deep into the rock and can be difficult to get rid of without the help of a hungry tang or other herbivore.