PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained Nitrate drop

treetopflyn
11/04/2011, 06:40 AM
OK first of all I am not complaining.

My Nitrates are normally around .3 I know it's a little high but everything is doing fine so it has never been a problem.

This morning I tested with 2 separate test kits and it's coming in at .1 and 0.

The only thing I have done different is add filter floss to the drain tube in the over flow and have been cleaning it ever 3rd day.

Any clue what could have cause the sudden drop?

stevek480
11/04/2011, 08:22 AM
Since I'm assuming your tank is new, the bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrogen gas could be just developing. I don't think the difference between .1 and .3 is significant enough to be able to explain away with any great certainty however.

treetopflyn
11/04/2011, 08:26 AM
Since I'm assuming your tank is new, the bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrogen gas could be just developing. I don't think the difference between .1 and .3 is significant enough to be able to explain away with any great certainty however.

Sorry the tank has been set up as a LRFO tank for 2+ years and was converted to a reef tank in the past 2 months and the Nitrates have been .3-.4 EVERY single reading except today. Strange I tell ya

chefgreg
11/04/2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe the filter floss is helping catch the waste befor it breaks down. Allowing current bacteria time to do their job.