PDA

View Full Version : A tuft of hair algae

Paul B
11/04/2011, 01:40 PM
Hair algae is something that scares a lot of people and for good reason.
I only have one place in my reef where I grow it on purpose.
This was a string that I had tied to a coral that was at one time suspended from above the tank. I cut the string and let it unravel. It grew this tuft of hair algae in no time. I also collect amphipods like this, I cut a rope and unravel it. Then I hang it under my boat. It gets loaded with amphipods in a few days. This would alo house pods in a tank if I allowed it to rest on the substrait and is a good way to have a safe haven for them.
I find this one piece of hair algae interesting so I leave it alone. I don't have any tangs at the moment and the algae bleeny is not interested so there it stays.
Just felt like sharing :spin2:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Hairalgae007.jpg

Jvak
11/04/2011, 02:30 PM
A perfect example of how everybodies tank is unique to its owner, something that a lot of people spend hours trying to get rid of is the same thing that brings you joy in your tank.

Allmost
11/04/2011, 02:34 PM
Im happy you posted this. I always keep some hair algae in my seahorse tanks, and dont remove it, and dont let snails get to it by eggcrates, so Id have a place for pods to hang out and reproduce. my seahorses dont get fed once a week and thats where they are allll day :) I enjoy seeing them hunt pods within the algae as well.

Paul B
11/04/2011, 02:59 PM
This stuff grows profusely in my algae trough where I want it. I may do some experiments with a different type of refugium using rope to grow algae. I know it always grows like this on string. I guess the movement allows light to reach all parts of it.

saltym3
11/04/2011, 03:31 PM
My tomato clown loves to rub up to the hair algae in mine.

jason2459
11/04/2011, 06:42 PM
My tomato clown loves to rub up to the hair algae in mine.

I had beautiful tufts of hair algae and now its all gone. Now my clown is homeless and muttering death threats at me. She loved the stuff and protected it pretty fiercely. Would bite my hands any time I got near it.

dixiedog
11/04/2011, 10:00 PM
That thing would give me nightmares. LOL