PDA

View Full Version : Lots of slipups at Live Aquaria lately :)

Recty
11/04/2011, 05:56 PM
$79 pair of $800 sharks and check out the fish below...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=133695

http://www.photerrific.com/share/bbgrouper.jpg

whipsaw
11/04/2011, 06:00 PM
lol'd

inches, feet... whatever

Dragon moray ki
11/04/2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah I know I can't believe it must have some new help my sister maybe she can't even keep bettas

AlexS95
11/04/2011, 06:28 PM
I saw that a few days ago. :headwallblue: I hope they fix it...

luv4scjjt
11/04/2011, 06:31 PM
I am one of those silly people who bought one of those not doing research first. I figured if i had a 180 gal that i wouldn't find a fish in a lfs that i couldn't acomodate full grown size. So my husdband thought the little guy was georgous. So I went to the counter and said bag him but don't tell the short guy with the lue hat.....We went home and then i pulled the little guy out of my bag....Then i did the research and found our how big they get. Now i'm stuck. For now it's ok. I look forward to watching him grow but I will have to start making plans for his excessive growth over the next couple yrs. I admit I was the dumb dumb. But for now we love him. He's a carecter thats for sure.

AlexS95
11/04/2011, 07:36 PM
^ I almost did that once. Thank god for 3G phones with google...

VoiceInTheDeser
11/04/2011, 08:03 PM
^ I almost did that once. Thank god for 3G phones with google...
The LFS's probably think I just come in their stores to text, because I'm constantly googling around for reviews of fish/supplies/equipment when I'm in a store. Normally I have to track down employees cause they give up trying to approach me.

jjk_reef00
11/04/2011, 08:35 PM
I'd get one if they maxed out at 9"

CJ 1098
11/04/2011, 09:05 PM
Here is a link to a small one!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fishwise.co.za/Portals/126/images/Taking%2520Fish%2520Pictures/giant%2520brindlebass.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.fishwise.co.za/home/taking_fish_pictures.aspx&h=377&w=200&sz=20&tbnid=TYZ50PBNR7KCqM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=57&prev=/search%3Fq%3DEpinephelus%2Blanceolatus%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Epinephelus+lanceolatus+pictures&docid=LQNQXF_Uz93sVM&sa=X&ei=xaa0TuPBKqfhiAL_8sRI&ved=0CEEQ9QEwCQ&dur=47

These get as big as a car, I would love to see an aqaurium big enough for one of these!

A freind gave me one before I had any Idea what it was. It just grew and grew and grew! It ate a 48 inch tesselatta eel , a 14 inch Queen trigger and a 24 inch shark! I would feed it big dungenous crabs and it would swalow them whole!

sacremon
11/04/2011, 09:11 PM
I recall from a week or two ago they had some Aussie coral listed as coming from "New South Whales". Sheesh.

dzfish17
11/04/2011, 09:25 PM
My last order (2 weeks ago) was goofed up but it worked out ok for me. I ordered an 89.00 Powder Blue Tang from DD that was listed as 4 3/4" but what I received was a 7" PBT. I was a little concerned about the PBT picking on my other tangs because they are all around 3". Because of their goof Ive got the 299.00 one that was also on DD. In the same order I bought a mystery wrasse that was listed as 2 1/2" for 99.00 but the one I received is full grown at around 4".

Dragon moray ki
11/04/2011, 09:32 PM
Like I said my little sister she's smart in school but when it come to fish she dosent even know what a regal tang is all she says is look look it's dori and she s like 11 so when I ask her the what real name is she says dori

AlexS95
11/04/2011, 11:00 PM
What does have to do with this conversation... Like at all?

geaux xman
11/05/2011, 12:55 AM
Here is a link to a small one!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fishwise.co.za/Portals/126/images/Taking%2520Fish%2520Pictures/giant%2520brindlebass.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.fishwise.co.za/home/taking_fish_pictures.aspx&h=377&w=200&sz=20&tbnid=TYZ50PBNR7KCqM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=57&prev=/search%3Fq%3DEpinephelus%2Blanceolatus%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Epinephelus+lanceolatus+pictures&docid=LQNQXF_Uz93sVM&sa=X&ei=xaa0TuPBKqfhiAL_8sRI&ved=0CEEQ9QEwCQ&dur=47

These get as big as a car, I would love to see an aqaurium big enough for one of these!

A freind gave me one before I had any Idea what it was. It just grew and grew and grew! It ate a 48 inch tesselatta eel , a 14 inch Queen trigger and a 24 inch shark! I would feed it big dungenous crabs and it would swalow them whole!

wow huh.

what did you keep it in and what did you end up doing with it? how big was it when it was eating all those big fish.

the listing shows 1000g, that is a bit small if they do get to about 8ft.

how long would it take for these type of fish to get from a few inches to 3ft in captivity? 2 yrs? 5 yrs?

TruespeedEM1
11/05/2011, 07:35 AM
My last order (2 weeks ago) was goofed up but it worked out ok for me. I ordered an 89.00 Powder Blue Tang from DD that was listed as 4 3/4" but what I received was a 7" PBT. I was a little concerned about the PBT picking on my other tangs because they are all around 3". Because of their goof Ive got the 299.00 one that was also on DD. In the same order I bought a mystery wrasse that was listed as 2 1/2" for 99.00 but the one I received is full grown at around 4".

how are you measuring? Not insulting your intelligence, I just know some places only measure to the beginning of the tail, excluding it from the measurement (idk if LA does this though?

geaux xman
11/05/2011, 07:48 AM
DD measures to the end of the tail. i emailed them before regarding this.

fish stalker
11/05/2011, 08:36 AM
This doesn't make me feel very confident that I'll get my eel after all. They messed up my order and after a week of going back and forth told me they would look for another one which would take about a month. It's just about been that long and still nothing. The other issues cropping up are not helping. :twitch:

jcw
11/05/2011, 09:03 AM
DD measures to the end of the tail. i emailed them before regarding this.

So all the know-it-all's that say the standard measurment is the body only apparently need to instruct DD they are doing it all wrong?!
Everyone's an expert on the internet. :rolleye1:

Bottom line for me is...

LA obtains their fish from QM.
Apparently anyone with a business license can buy from QM.
Aside from relatively the most trouble free 14-day guarantee, there is little to no difference buying from another retailer that obtains their fish from QM and maintains the short chain of possession.

Obviously, this does not apply to divers den.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

jcw
11/05/2011, 09:10 AM

join the club...
imo differences this great should be OK'd with the buyer.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a particular sized fish, and it is listed as such. You should get that sized fish. I can't tell you how irritating it is when it happens to you.

fish stalker
11/05/2011, 11:17 AM
Far more irritating when you get a completely different animal:eek1:

Recty
11/05/2011, 04:10 PM
Hah, well that grouper shows as sold now. I hope whoever bought it actually knows what they are getting vs. what LA says it will end up as.

I didnt really start this as a bash on LA thread, I really appreciate them as a good place to buy fish. Their service is second to none. I'm sure they have issues from time to time, but that's just to be expected in my mind with them shipping out thousands of fish weekly.

jcw
11/05/2011, 04:42 PM
Hah, well that grouper shows as sold now. I hope whoever bought it actually knows what they are getting vs. what LA says it will end up as.

I didnt really start this as a bash on LA thread, I really appreciate them as a good place to buy fish. Their service is second to none. I'm sure they have issues from time to time, but that's just to be expected in my mind with them shipping out thousands of fish weekly.

Them is Quality Marine and NOT liveaquaria. IMO, therein lies the problem.

jcw
11/05/2011, 04:43 PM
Far more irritating when you get a completely different animal:eek1:

It's happened to me as well.

Radiata lionfish instead of a radiant wrasse.

dzfish17
11/05/2011, 06:59 PM
how are you measuring? Not insulting your intelligence, I just know some places only measure to the beginning of the tail, excluding it from the measurement (idk if LA does this though?

Let me put it like this... I bought a 5" emporer from DD and the PBT is huge compared to it. It was a screw up because when I called they admitted that someone bagged the wrong fish. Im not complaining now because he settled in and doesnt pick on the other tangs.

dzfish17
11/05/2011, 07:10 PM
join the club...
imo differences this great should be OK'd with the buyer.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a particular sized fish, and it is listed as such. You should get that sized fish. I can't tell you how irritating it is when it happens to you.

In another thread about LA someone got a larger anthias than what they thought they were getting... was that you? Its kind of funny how karma works... I said that I wouldnt have a problem with a fish coming in larger than what I ordered and then it happened to me. I did have a problem with it. If the PBT decided to kill one of the smaller fish there is nothing LA could do about it.