PDA

View Full Version : MJ Pwr. Heads Or Hydor Koralia?

reefwisher
11/04/2011, 08:45 PM
I am setting up a 55 gal. fowlr tank. Which is better to use in a fowlr tank, the maxi-jet pwr heads or the hydor koralia evolution pumps? There will be no corals, just want something for water circulation and what the fish would rather have. I got a few of the maxi-jet laying around but no hydor koralia. Would have to buy some of the hydor.

Elem7777
11/04/2011, 09:04 PM
I have both Evolutions 1400s and 2 of the new MJs that come with the propeller mod, one's a 900 the other a 1200.

Between the two I actually liked the flow better on the MJs compared to Evolutions, it managed to feel both broad and powerful, especially the 1200.

Unfortunately though despite liking the flow better on the MJs, and the price, I'm currently using the 2 1400s in my tank with a supplemental 750 on the way. Reason being the mount and the look of the pumps.

The mount for the MJs is just terrible, it's just a cheap 3 suction cup mount that in the 2 weeks I was using the MJs came loose 3 times on the 1200 and once on the 900. They're also kind of flimsy, the MJ 1200 especially didn't want to stay in the position I wanted, it kept dipping slightly, which also caused it to produce a vibrating noise when it dipped out of place.

I also thought he MJs stuck out a lot more inside the tank, they're a bit larger and the grey doesn't blend as in as well as the black of the Koralias.

Unless you want to spend an extra $20 bucks on a magnet mount for the MJs I'd go with the Koralias. That being said though I think the MJs make good cheap pumps for use in places other than a DT, I'm still getting good use out of my MJs mixing salt and circulating a QT/live rock curing tank.

docs911
11/04/2011, 09:12 PM
I have had both. I like the Maxi jets much better (modded with sure flo and magnet grips). My evolution 1400's started to spin backwards despite upgrading the parts. With all this said, I have upgraded to vortech MP40's.

reefwisher
11/04/2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I have to say, I also like the evolutions pwr. heads on my 2 reef tank for the same reason as you are saying. But I got these extras MJ but dread using them because of the suctions cup mount. Think I'll spend the money and get the Evolutions for my new fowlr tank.

kurt_n
11/04/2011, 10:45 PM
I've used both and would grudgingly vote for the Evos. I have the new Hydors in my tank - which spin backwards from time to time. Even with that, the new made-in-China MJ's leave a lot to be desired. I agree totally with Elem7777's comments about the two.

tkeracer619
11/05/2011, 12:54 AM
I have had both. I like the Maxi jets much better (modded with sure flo and magnet grips). My evolution 1400's started to spin backwards despite upgrading the parts. With all this said, I have upgraded to vortech MP40's.

^^^ this