PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my next 250w de mh bulb

spartanomega21
11/05/2011, 09:54 AM
I have a 40B barebottom that is full sps and clam. I have always used phoenix 14k's on all of my tanks and have gotten good color and growth out of them. But, I have seen the color "pop" of the radiums and I am looking for a good bulb that will have the equivalent effect and still have good PAR. I also use Lumatek adjustable ballasts and LumenMax elite reflectors. I've spent hours looking at bulb threads and charts but still cant make up my mind whether to stick with the phoenix's or try something new... so any opinions would be appreciated
thanks

karsseboom
11/05/2011, 11:45 AM
There is nothing that can replace the beauty of radium 250.

sirreal63
11/05/2011, 12:59 PM
There is nothing that can replace the beauty of radium 250.

While that is true, it doesn't help with DE.

I like the Phoenix after a few months, when it stops looking like windex. The Hamilton 14K is also pretty good for color but it lacks the PAR of the Phoenix. I would stick with the Phoenix, for par and color it can't be beat in the DE variety.

spartanomega21
11/06/2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input sirreal63. Another possibility would be to sell the DE reflectors and get SE ones and run radiums off of the lumateks. If i do that would it be worth the extra cash to put out to swap reflectors?

arentspowell
11/06/2011, 08:32 AM
I also use the phoenix 14k's and wish I could try the radiums. It wouldn't be that much to swap out the reflectors if you just find a used set in the forsale forum and then just sell yours.

As far a DE bulbs I think sticking the with phoenix is your best bet.

sirreal63
11/06/2011, 09:17 AM
Radiums should be run with M80 ballasts to get their true colors, electronics will fire them, but IMO they don't look the same. Before I went out and changed reflectors I would try and find someone close that is running 250 watt Radiums with electronics and see if you like the look. It would be a shame to change out everything just to discover you didn't like it better than what you already have. The Phoenix and the Radium are both HQI Spec bulbs, so you may be used to the look that electronic ballasts give with under driving the bulbs.

I would try and find someone local and look at their setup.

spartanomega21
11/07/2011, 06:26 AM
Im looking for local tanks using eballasts. But ive found lots of people using galaxy ballasts with them, and they love them. Lumateks would burn them the same way right?