PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Skimmer Options

mess7777
11/05/2011, 10:20 AM
hi all,

My skimmer(local DIY) doesn't seem to be good enough. So I am looking to possibly upgrade. I have space issues though, so am looking for advice.

My current sump setup has a 9"widex12"deep section that is 15" high. The total clearance I have in my stand is 25". Without changing out my sump, it would be very difficult to change these dimensions, and obviously the 25" height is there to stay.

I have been looking at the Deltec MCE-600 hang on/in sump as a possible option due it's rectangular size. I would ultimately prefer something that fits in the sump but it seems most in sump skimmers either have too large a footprint or the water level needs to be much lower than mine, rendering it impossible based on my setup.

Any ideas or is the Deltec my best bet here?

Am I going to hate having a hang on instead of in sump?

moondoggy4
11/05/2011, 11:31 AM
So the depth of the water for the skimmer is 12'' deep I know that Bubble Magnus like deep sumps maybe put it on a stand. The three most important questions are how big is the tank? and what are you going to put in it? and how much do you want to spend?

mess7777
11/05/2011, 12:45 PM
No the depth of water is 15". The tank is 19" high.

I have a 90g main tank and the sump is 30g but not full.

The skimmer will either be in or hanging on the sump. I want to know my options, but won't be spending over $500 to be sure.

msayani2
11/05/2011, 04:00 PM
Ive recommended this before and although I havent used them personally, Ive heard good things about the Aquamaxx skimmer line. Do look around for the one with the sicce 2.0 pump.

mess7777
11/07/2011, 08:52 AM
Alright, so the thought process continues.

I am stuck between a couple of options :

Deltec MCE600 - I can get a used one for $200
Reef Octopus 160 - got a lead on a used one but no price yet(it's part of a full system)

Does anyone know is skimmer destroy Pods. My current setup is left chamber overflow, middle chamber fuge, right chamber return. The level of the 2nd/3rd chamber is 12" which is more condusive to a in sump skimmer. Therefore I could convert the overflow chamber to a fuge and have the 2nd chamber with the sump. I don't really want to do this if it will obliterate my pods, as I want the pods for the mandarin up top.

honestly I would have bought the deltec by now, but I am perhaps unnecessarily concerned about it being rectangular instead of cylindrical, and that affecting overall skimmate production.

Any thoughts?

reefernutz
11/07/2011, 09:00 AM
Have you thought about an external skimmer? I have my external right next to the stand. It beats the in-sump skimmers because the performance doesn't change with the water level.

mess7777
11/07/2011, 09:02 AM
Have you thought about an external skimmer? I have my external right next to the stand. It beats the in-sump skimmers because the performance doesn't change with the water level.

I have not, but now I am. What do you use and are you happy with it? Would there be disadvantages compared with in sump/HOB skimmers?

reefernutz
11/07/2011, 09:47 AM
I'm currently using an H&S A200-1260 on my 60g cube. The skimmer is amazing, even though it is overkill for my system. I have a MaxiJet 1200 feeding the skimmer out of my sump and the skimmer drains back into the sump. I can sent you a pic later if you want.

My biggest problem with in-sump skimmers is they are so finiky with the water level. If you have a power outage or your main pump fails and the sump water rises, the skimmers will overflow. So you're constantly turning them on and off for feeding and tank maintenance. I haven't turned mine off in 3 months and it's still kicking away. Plus, having an external skimmer makes cleaning it a whole lot easier. Once per week I just take the top off the cup and clean the inside of the riser neck.

mess7777
11/07/2011, 10:16 AM
I'm currently using an H&S A200-1260 on my 60g cube. The skimmer is amazing, even though it is overkill for my system. I have a MaxiJet 1200 feeding the skimmer out of my sump and the skimmer drains back into the sump. I can sent you a pic later if you want.

My biggest problem with in-sump skimmers is they are so finiky with the water level. If you have a power outage or your main pump fails and the sump water rises, the skimmers will overflow. So you're constantly turning them on and off for feeding and tank maintenance. I haven't turned mine off in 3 months and it's still kicking away. Plus, having an external skimmer makes cleaning it a whole lot easier. Once per week I just take the top off the cup and clean the inside of the riser neck.

:hmm4: a little higher price tag than I am looking for!! I would still want to put it in the sump too, and it seems the external are mostly too high for that.

scarface70706
11/07/2011, 11:40 AM
if i was you id buy reef octopus! i have the reef octopus xs 160. very good skimmer, quite once i bought some pvc ($8 worth) for the valve, skim looks like dark black goo, well built and appealing. but theres a new version out call the diablo. kinda sucks because it came out like a week or two after i bought my xs160. goolge it; it looks really cool, small foot print, and packs a punch. good luck buddy.

ps: oh yeah both skimmers about $300 so its pretty reasonable for a skimmer. Go with reef octopus hands down!

mess7777
11/07/2011, 11:49 AM
if i was you id buy reef octopus! i have the reef octopus xs 160. very good skimmer, quite once i bought some pvc ($8 worth) for the valve, skim looks like dark black goo, well built and appealing. but theres a new version out call the diablo. kinda sucks because it came out like a week or two after i bought my xs160. goolge it; it looks really cool, small foot print, and packs a punch. good luck buddy.

ps: oh yeah both skimmers about $300 so its pretty reasonable for a skimmer. Go with reef octopus hands down!

I am definitely interested in the reef octopus. What about the water depth. I believe it says 8-9.5" I would therefore need to put it on a stand about 2-3" I guess. This will put the height from 22" up to 24-25". With my total height of 25" I am cutting this real close!!

jamncook
11/07/2011, 11:51 AM
[selling]...

reefernutz
11/07/2011, 12:41 PM
:hmm4: a little higher price tag than I am looking for!! I would still want to put it in the sump too, and it seems the external are mostly too high for that.

Lol - I wasn't telling you to go out and buy an H&S. The only reason I'm using it is that a buddy of mine sold it to me cheap.

heckeng
11/07/2011, 01:00 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon long sump. I run a Super Reef Octopus 1000 internal on a stand in the first return section of the sump. I have several inches of room to get the top off and the skimmer has been great. $300.