PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive tank list?

rayn
11/05/2011, 06:07 PM
I have a question about possible tank mates. This would be combining three tanks into one and free up a bunch of space, while making the wife happy too.

55 with 20l sump. Would house two leaf fish, cockatoo sailfin, dwarf lion, I. didactylus.

Would these all work together without a bunch of fighting or eating of each other? Currently the leafs and cockatoo are together in a tank, I. didactylus by itself and dwarf by itself.

Reef264
11/06/2011, 05:01 PM
Shouldn't have any problems arise.

seahorsedreams
11/06/2011, 05:41 PM
How long have you had the leaf fish and how big are they? If it's a big ole mature leaf, you could be fine. If it's a leaf that has grown in captivity, they will not reach their full size potential. Then yes, there may be a good chance they could get eaten.

How abut the inimicus? How big is he? Do you have pictures of them all?

rayn
11/06/2011, 06:06 PM
leaf pair
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/dougcobb/2011-09-25_20-25-07_217.jpg

sailfin
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/dougcobb/2011-09-30_18-20-03_953.jpg

I. didactylus
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/dougcobb/2011-09-11_21-35-15_906.jpg

dwarf
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/dougcobb/2011-10-12_20-52-40_538.jpg

I had forgot about this thread till Reef264 posted. Now you make me question the possibility of doing it. I had planned a 55 tank for them all as a way of consolidating tanks and taking three to one. In the process of moving and preparing for the one 55 tank the original particle board stand took a dump. I wouldn't trust it to hold anything. So this plan while still in thoughts, is currently off. Future move would be into a 120, but then I am looking into a single or possible pair of lions that could grow and satay long term. Not sure the leafs would work then at all.

rayn
11/06/2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry, better pic of inimicus
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/dougcobb/2011-09-10_18-32-31_143.jpg

seahorsedreams
11/06/2011, 06:31 PM
Sometimes it is a game of Russian Roulette. Before I mix anything questionable, I always ask myself, "Is it worth the possible consequence".... sometimes it is.

rayn
11/06/2011, 06:37 PM
Russian roulette. That is a good way to put it. I just hate to see something get eaten because of my pushing it. The leafs are fine in their tank, really no biggie now. It is the dwarf and inimicus that will most likely be moved in the future now.

Would the dwarf work will volitans? That would be the big issue there.

seahorsedreams
11/06/2011, 06:44 PM
I've seen a video where an adult volitans ate an adult dwarf (for what type of dwarf it was).

LisaD
11/06/2011, 06:45 PM
dwarf with volitans? in which tank? how big are the dwarf, how big is volitans?

I'd be worried about the leaf fish with more aggressive feeders being outcompeted - you could try it before taking down their tank...

rayn
11/06/2011, 06:48 PM
Bummer, knocks that idea down. Dwarf in a reef? Smallest fish I have are ocelleris clown pair. Female about three inches, male about two to two and a half. Only other is the cbs and it is huge.

rayn
11/06/2011, 06:51 PM
Dwarf and lion would most likely be in a 120, but probably won't happen.

As for the leafs feeding they are net trained and fairly aggressive when they see the feeders coming. Enough to swim/hop to them. I would have to watch for the lions sticking my arm im there though.

Also I don't currently have any volitans, just the dwarf. I traded off my volitan as I was to slow getting the larger tank going and I didn't want to cramp him up in to small of a tank.

namxas
11/08/2011, 09:45 AM
The fish in question would be the Inimicus. We keep dwarf lions with our waspfishes with no problems, but our wasps are really solid feeders and have some size on them, so target feeding isn't a problem. Since your leafs are solidly "on the net", you might be OK with them in a dwarf setup.

As you know, it's all about "size differential". I wouldn't keep a dwarf with a volitans. The only way it might work is if you get them both as small juvies and grow them up together, but even then, it's no guarantee.

jarrod13
11/08/2011, 12:11 PM
Pertaining to your original question I think they would be fine with a couple of exceptions, mainly the inimicus. Depending on the size difference he could possibly eat the cockatoo or leafs, but as long as they're at least over half his size I would think it would be ok, but as already mentioned and as you already know we're never REALLY sure until you try it.
The only other problem I see would be feeding the leafs, but that's up to your judgement on how aggressive of eaters they are compared to the other fish in question and whether or not they would be able to compete for food.

I say go for it, add the leafs first, then cockatoo, then the dwarf, then the inimicus. I think it will be fine but again your going to be the best one to decide if it's a good idea being that you know each individual fish

Good luck and keep us posted

rayn
11/08/2011, 01:06 PM
As it stands now it will be the 120 that would be the aggressive tank, once the larger tank is ready.

How about the leafs with the dwarf?

namxas
11/08/2011, 03:52 PM
As it stands now it will be the 120 that would be the aggressive tank, once the larger tank is ready.

How about the leafs with the dwarf?

They would do fine, but again, mind the size diff. since a lot of the wasps and leafs have been coming in on the small side lately.

rayn
11/09/2011, 12:29 PM
Had a thought today that would help me out, not sure about the fish.

The inimicus and dwarf are currently in a well established 40b, while the leafs are in a established 29. Could they all work in the 40b long term? I don't think size is a issue as the leafs are all in the 2-3 inch range. The dwarf probably can't eat them and I don't think the inimicus mouth is that big.

jarrod13
11/09/2011, 01:21 PM
is the filtration on the 40 good enough to handle the bio load?

rayn
11/09/2011, 01:58 PM
Are you talking mechanical or otherwise? There is plenty or rock in the tank and I could almost double it, but I would take up substrate area for the inimicus. As for mechanical there is a double emperor biowheel hob filter and a fission nano skimmer.

namxas
11/10/2011, 03:02 PM
I'd leave the substrate open if you can't stack any more rock. I'd also consider upsizing the skimmer as soon as possible since that load is pretty heavy.

What are you running in the HOB filters?

MrTuskfish
11/10/2011, 03:12 PM
dwarf with volitans? in which tank? how big are the dwarf, how big is volitans?

I'd be worried about the leaf fish with more aggressive feeders being outcompeted - you could try it before taking down their tank...

Post #15 on this thread may be what you're looking for, or maybe not.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2092660

rayn
11/10/2011, 05:54 PM
I'd leave the substrate open if you can't stack any more rock. I'd also consider upsizing the skimmer as soon as possible since that load is pretty heavy.

What are you running in the HOB filters?

Are you thinking the bioload with the inimicus and dwarf is too high or if I add the leafs in? The hob just has filter pads with carbon in them. Not the best, but the tank does stay clean.

Post #15 on this thread may be what you're looking for, or maybe not.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2092660

Yep I saw that thread right after that post. Pretty much proves namxas right on the size differential point.