PDA

View Full Version : is having a dawn dusk effecct on ur lights really that important?

brob22
11/06/2011, 12:09 AM
i havent been doing this and im wonderin if im making a mistake

Garage1217
11/06/2011, 12:37 AM
Not important at all so no worries there, but it is very cool and if done properly with the right type of lighting such as leds, it can save a decent amount per year on electricity.

zigzag1
11/06/2011, 01:02 AM
No, it's not required. Your fish and coral will do fine without it. It's mostly just for our viewing pleasure.

TucanSam007
11/06/2011, 01:20 AM
Yeah its one of those features that isn't needed but if you have it flaunt it ;)

Aaarrrggg
11/06/2011, 03:00 AM
I guess the only time it could be "needed" is if your tank is in a dark room when the lights turn on/off. The shock of the light change could spook some fish into jumping, but I expect they'd all get used to it after a while.

With some blue LEDs, dusk & dawn can look pretty darn awesome though! Definitely my fav time of the day to look at corals and show off my tank to guests. :inlove:

DeepSeaBeauti
11/06/2011, 06:05 AM
Imagine sleeping in your bed, its early, still dark out.All of a sudden, Bam!!!!! someones got 1000w of light beaming right at you.

But everyone is right. Its not needed, I've been doing this for years and only recently build a dawn dusk system. I like the way it looks when it transitions better then the lights during the day. Makes it look much more natural.

atreis
11/06/2011, 06:23 AM
It's purely aesthetic. It's not important to the animals in the tank.

cody6766
11/06/2011, 08:53 AM
I've heard that some use it as a way to help keep jumpers in the tank, as hinted to above. I've read comments where people noticed their fish jumping, or acting like they're going to jump, when the lights pop on. Easing them into their day could keep them a little more calm.

I'd assume this would be more common with T5s and other 'quick on' lighting vs MH which take a short while to warm up. I do it when I have a lighting configuration that allows it to be done easily, but it's mostly for me. I wouldn't spend more than the cost of a timer to do it.

64Ivy
11/06/2011, 09:29 AM
The only benefit, besides aesthetics, is that the effect would constantly send my Anthias into spawning behavior. They would not do this under normal 'timed' lighting but every night, just as the dimming began, so did the romance. Actually makes sense when you think about it.

crabbyjoe
11/06/2011, 09:34 AM
I've been using timers lately to acclimate reef to new lighting and its created a somewhat dusk to dawn effect. actinic and 6500 PCs 1st 3 hours, 250w MH middle 3 hours then PCs again for 3. moonlights kick on 2 hours after PCs go out for a while. its helping corals get used to MH since its only on a short time right now and its kinda fun to see the tank in different lighting through out the day.

bigworm175
11/06/2011, 09:52 AM
I have found that on my 25 rimless cube the rapid turn off of the Metal halide light is a jumping issue. I have had 2 different fish jump a total of 4 times when it turned off. I saw one do it twice. Unfortunately, twice I didn't see it. One was a clown and the other a Royal Gramma. I haven't figured out how to get an actinic on this tank to make it more gradual (a least not within my price range) and keep the aesthetics.

snorvich
11/06/2011, 10:44 AM
The only benefit, besides aesthetics, is that the effect would constantly send my Anthias into spawning behavior. They would not do this under normal 'timed' lighting but every night, just as the dimming began, so did the romance. Actually makes sense when you think about it.

Likewise. Other fish such as mandarins as well.

Reefing Newbie
11/06/2011, 11:24 AM
Not required by any means but more natural for the livestock. Also, if you want to give your fish free food, it would be necisarry. When mandarins spawn your other fish will eat the eggs.

brob22
11/06/2011, 07:06 PM
thanks for all the responses. i have a t5 fixture so im not really that big on it for astetics
thanks again guys