PDA

View Full Version : how to choose a ro/di unit?

twitchzoo
11/06/2011, 01:30 PM
I need to get a ro/di unit and am overwhelmed by the choices. I want one that will have reasonable priced replacement filters and be easy to use. I'm getting a 120 tank so how many gal/day unit do I need? Also, can I use this water for drinking water too?

anderson0196
11/06/2011, 02:06 PM
There are many choices out there and they all do pretty much the same thing.

My best advices is to spend some time on Bulk Reef Supply (a sponsor to boot)....they have many options to consider and provide great info to help in the decision making process.

You can drink the water but most suggest that you T off before the DI stage for drinking water. BRS has a drinking water setup...check it out.

If these systems are beyond your budget just keep an eye out for a used unit.

aandfsoccr04
11/06/2011, 02:08 PM
Just go to buckeye field supply or bulk reef supply and select a 75GPD one.

gpx1200
11/06/2011, 02:11 PM
their are ro/di systems that have a 3-5 gallon preshure tank that stays filled under the sink with a separate spigot that you mount above the sink for drinking water, you could use a system like that with a T and a valve off of the line to the tank and use that t to get your tank water. when you need water for the tank hook up to the t and open the valve and close the valve on the preshure tank
when i bought mine years ago their wer only a few companys making the membrains ge/osmotech and filmtech and most ro systems can use bolth, not shure if this is still the case though since that was several years ago

Bugcrusher
11/06/2011, 02:20 PM
+1 for 75GPD unit. Also take in account the following:
Quality Manufacturing/good warranty
Shipping cost or free shipping
customer loyalty program
How many units sold/customer comments
RO membrane options or base technology new or dated?
Whats included or how much bang for my buck!

This is what I used and I just bought the BRS + system.

twitchzoo
11/06/2011, 02:56 PM
thanks everyone, just ordered the 75gpd+ from BRS