PDA

View Full Version : Prazipro and ammonia spike?

Wannabe29
11/06/2011, 03:54 PM
Hi all. I went to the pet store a few days to get flatworm exit, as I have a few fw's in my tank. Not anything near plague proportions but, I want to nip it in the bud. Well, they didn't have it. So, I bought Prazipro since it seems to indicate that it treats for flatworms. Right.

I added the Prazipro, the flatworms that I could see laughed at me, and my sympodium frag closed up tight. So, since I didn't want to stress the frag, I turned the carbon reactor back on and turned the skimmer on and did a water change. The sympodium opened up and I had microbubbles galore from the Prazipro reaction in the skimmer.

Well, a few days later, the microbubbles have subsided and my sympodium was opened up. However, this morning, I looked at it and it was closed up tight. Only now, at 4:30pm est is it opening up slightly.

Since sympodium is supposed to be "tough" I checked my params.
SG: 1.025
pH: 8.4
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: .5???????
Alk: 8.3
Ca: 380 (a little low. I don't have sps/lps yet so I haven't tinkered around with it yet).

What's the deal with the ammonia? The tank has been up and running for a few months now. It's a 40br. with a 29 gallon sump. I set it up with 40lbs. of reefsaver base rock from BRS and another 20+ lbs of good quality LR from established systems. There's a zoa colony in there, a large flower anemone and a GSP colony that came with some of the LR. Also, as mentioned, the sympodium colony.

In the sump, there's another 20lbs of rock and a big ball of chaeto.

As far as fish go, I have one occelaris clown and two juvenile convict blennies. I also have a clean-up crew of a billion dwarf ceriths, a bunch of nassarius snails, hermits and another type of snail whose name escapes me at the moment. And, one peppermint shrimp.

I'm pretty careful about how much I feed. I don't have that many fish so I don't feed all that much.

All parameters were excellent prior to the Prazipro treatment. Is it possible that the Prazipro has somehow damaged the biofilter? Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Oh, I guess I should add that I have 40lbs of aragalive reef sand in the display, which equates to a little over an inch of sediment in the DT. It is almost pristine and has been vac'ed a few times already with each water change, whether it needed it or not.

chefgreg
11/06/2011, 05:01 PM
Anything is possible in our size tanks. Maybe add a dose of stress zyme to boost your bio filter if it was damaged. I haven't used the product you mentioned so just my .02

Wannabe29
11/06/2011, 05:56 PM
Maybe I'll give that a try. I just did a 10 gallon water change. I'll check it tomorrow and reassess. Just weird.

And, so everyone knows, prazipro does not appear to have any affect on flatworms.