PDA

View Full Version : Lookdowns

ackee
11/06/2011, 04:07 PM
If you go to the Ocean Gallery (NJ) website you can see a photo of the two Lookdowns I caught in Barnegat Bay in August when they were about 2 inches long. I brought them to OG a few days ago. They are now close to 5 inches, and absolutely magnificent, about the best I've had, and I've raised dozens of them. They are voracious feeders, and eat anything. Pellets are a favorite. They also managed to eat a few small fish in my collecting tank, and a couple of cleaner shrimp. Absolutely beautiful, though. I wish I were able to take photos a nicely as they do at OG.

Recty
11/06/2011, 05:17 PM
You just gave them to OG to sell?

ackee
11/06/2011, 06:03 PM
Been doing it for years. Informal exchange for Tropic Marin, etc. with local shops. Some of my fishes wind up at Jenkinson's Aquarium or Coney Island. Lookdowns grow quickly and need lots of room. Some customers have 500+gallon tanks. I don't. The Lookdowns outgrew the 90 I use for summer collected fish. The largest aquarium I have is a 220, and it's fully stocked. I normally don't keep the lookdowns I catch anymore, but these were a small pair I managed to hand net while snorkeling under a pier, exceptionally beautiful fish. I hated to part with them, but had no choice. Had I left them in the bay the winter waters would have killed them by now. In any case, at heart I'm more a collector than an aquarist.