PDA

View Full Version : Hi need help with 250 mh

Frankysreef
07/01/2003, 07:09 PM
Hi...

I checked out your website and had some questions.

I have a 135 gal reef tank, but I dont think I have enuf light.

I have 2 36 inch jbj compact fluorescents on top right now and a bunch of soft corals.. I had some hard, but they all just died.

The soft seem to be doing well, but not growing real fast...

The jbj's are the 2 bulb 96 watt models 1 blue and 1 daylight.

Now what do I need in terms of a retrofit kit to boost up my lights.

Do you have a package deal? for 2 250 watt 6500k? mh systems including cords for me?

What is the diff between mag and electronic systems?

Is the iswaki a good bulb?

What do you have that is reasonable?

also... is 250 too much light? should I do 175?

and dont forget about fans....
thanks

F

MarineDepot
07/02/2003, 06:51 PM
Hi Franky,

For your application, we would recommend a PFO MH retrofit kit. You can find them here: http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_mh_pfo.asp?CartId= . You will need a dual MH ballast, two socket assemblies, two reflectors and two bulbs. As the system is pre-wired, it is extremely simple to put together.

If the tank is 24" deep, you will definitely want the 250W bulbs as it will penatrate the water better. The Iwasaki bulb is a great bulb for coral growth; however, its coloration leaves more to be desired, IMHO. I personally like the color of the 10000K Germans myself.

The IceCap electronic ballast do cost quite a bit more as one ballast is required for each bulb. However, they are light-weight, small, and runs cool. They are also more energy efficient and feature an high frequency start that help the bulbs to last longer.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Joseph
Marine Depot Customer Service
www.marinedepot.com