PDA

View Full Version : CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

L8ndeb
11/06/2011, 07:08 PM
Hello All,

I would like opinions on CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand for a 4" - 5" sand bed. I will have two MP40's on a 200 gal cube. I would also like to know if it is suitable for gobies wrasses. I will be keeping predominantly softies and LPS's. TIA

bsg
11/06/2011, 11:53 PM
I use it in my current tank and just ordered 80lbs for a tank upgrade. I only run a 1-2" sand bed (DSB in fuge with a slightly finer sand) not sure how it would do at 4-5".

skyshrimp
11/07/2011, 01:27 AM
I have a 75g reef with a 5 inch deep sand bed and have kept the 2 fish you mentioned. The reef grade is about perfect for sandsifting gobies. I had a yellow coris wrasse that sandived into the substrate just fine with no scratches or scrapes in the morning.

110galreef
11/07/2011, 09:28 AM
The way to go. Fine, yet not so fine it blows all over the place! All I use. I just go with 3/4" sand bed tho! Easier to clean, stay clean. Just enuf to cover the bottom. I have 3 wrasses and they like it.

Toddrtrex
11/07/2011, 10:39 AM
Love the stuff, all 3 of my tanks have it.

My goby/shrimp pair like it too,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/40%20breeder/024-1.jpg

L8ndeb
11/07/2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks to all that have replied. My last tank I used the aragonite that was sugar sized. I was using 2 seaswirls for tank circulation, so the bottom was not to disturbed. With the addition of the MP40's on the new tank, I was concerned with a sand storm in the tank using the sugar sized.
Two other questions, how is the special grade for little guys that burrow? Are there ANY negatives to the special grade? Again, TIA

Toddrtrex
11/07/2011, 11:49 AM
Not sure if you could tell from that picture I posted, but that is the opening to a burrow that goes under a 20 pound rock -- there are at least 4 burrows that they use.

The only negative (( and it goes away )) is that the sand is a bit messy at first -- just rinse it good and there won't be any issues. Depending on the weather, I either do it outside with a 5 gallon bucket, the hose and a piece of PVC to stir it, or in the bathtub with a 2 gallon bucket.

It starts a bit worse than this,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/sand2.jpg

And after 20 minutes...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/sand3.jpg

L8ndeb
11/07/2011, 12:08 PM
Would Aragamax Select be a alternative to the sugar sized and special grade? While I appreciate your opinions, I'm concerned with the special grade being a little big.
CaribSea's description of the special grade puts the grain size at 1.0 to 2.0 mm, while the aragamax select is .05 to 1.5 mm grain size.
I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is getting the sandbed to replicate the seafloor as far as grain size, but not blow all over the tank, and support a SSS/DSB.
I just don't want to plop down a couple of hundred bucks and not be satisfied with my purchase. (Who doesn't what that, right?)
I do remember Todd when I setup the last tank with the sugar sized, it took forever to rinse it to get to clear water coming out of the bucket. I'm sure anyone that I buy will be the same. Thanks.

aleonn
11/07/2011, 03:28 PM
IMO the Special Grade Reef Sand was slightly larger of a grain size than ideal for sand-sifting and sand-burrowing fish. Sure, many people don't have problems, but for the long term health of gobies, I prefer slightly finer sand.

Furthermore, it looks like you're going for a DSB (4-5"), and finer sand would be best if that's the function you were looking for.

I ultimately went with the Fiji Pink "live" sand, which is 0.5-1mm if I remember correctly. My MP40's did not kick up a sand storm with them, but that may vary depending on pump setting, strength, and tank length. I haven't used Aragamax before, but it sounds like a good compromise if you're concerned about sand blowing around. You can always purchase 1 bag to test in your tank, and go from there.

shiftline
11/30/2015, 12:05 PM
I love fine sugarsand.. however i'm a bit worried with my next build as it will be a 5.5' shallow reef..i think the sugar sand will be blown everywhere with the 2x MP40s on the one end.