PDA

View Full Version : killer snails

pegboy
11/06/2011, 07:36 PM
About 2 years ago I had a Crocea that semed to be thriving. As time went on it seemed to get a little lethargic. So as I was lifting it out of the substrate to move it to a different part of the tank I noticed it had dozens of small snails on its hing ligament, and they seemed to be eating my clam alive. I brushed them off and the next day they were right back. This continued until eventualy they ate enough of the ligament that the clam died. Its been two years since my last clam. I am sure these little bastards are still lurking in my tanks somewhere. Is there a way to treat the tank, or is there some way I can see if they are still living in my tank? I would like to get another clam but I am afraid the same thing will happen.

kingfisher62
11/06/2011, 07:41 PM
I think those are call pyramid snails. Lil blood suckers. Crush them manually and I think six line wrasses can help!

redwingrob40
11/06/2011, 07:46 PM
I think those are call pyramid snails. Lil blood suckers. Crush them manually and I think six line wrasses can help!

+1 for a wrasse of some sort.... Mystery wrasse are nice and they also eat pyramidal snails.

SushiGirl
11/06/2011, 10:13 PM
We had them on our larger snails and they were getting out of hand. We got a yellow coris wrasse a month ago and the last pyramid snail I saw was 2 weeks ago.

moliken
11/07/2011, 06:02 AM
there's a specific procedure that you need to follow. the wrasse thing will never end your infestation. maybe it'll keep it controlled, but your clams will still suffer.pm me and i can send you the link.