PDA

View Full Version : Basement Sump Plumbing and Equipment Questions

E.intheC
11/07/2011, 12:08 PM
I have been considering a basement sump now for a while. I currently have a 90 gallon RR tank that's going to be a mixed reef.

There are a few questions I have..

1. I'm planning on having two drains and one return. (Drains are 1 inch and 3/4 inch, respectively... The 3/4 would be setup so it's like an emergency drain). As for return, I think a 1 inch return would be best, but I'm flexible with that now. The drains unfortunately are not changeable as they're what come with my RR Deep Blue tank.

2. The sump I'm planning on using will have a 35 gallon (water volume) Refugium area. This looks like it will be filled with liverock and chaeto/other macro algae. I'd like to have it lit on a reverse daylight schedule to help with temp and pH regulation. Is 35 gallons large enough? Also, will the pods and other micro life get sent back to the tank? If so, will it live through the pump and return plumbing?

3. The sump room is aprx 10ft by 10ft, and shares space with a window (lol) and a water heater. Will the water heater add too much heat to the room during the winter? It's to heat the house, as we have radiators. Forgive me if I sound clueless on the above, as I am, pretty much .

4. I'm familiar with internal return pumps, but not at all with external. What are some good quality, low maintenance, low wattage, relatively inexpensive return pumps? Noise isn't too much of a concern, but it can't sound like a jet-engine. Medium range for sound is fine as it will be in the basement. Looks like I'm going to have aprx. 16 feet of head, but I need to confirm with measurements tonight.

That's all for now. Thanks!

mc-cro
11/07/2011, 07:42 PM
I am a huge fan of the panword/blue line pumps. A 150 would be a good size to have all the flow you could ever use on a 90g tank from the basement.

I used the same design for drain and return. 1 full siphon, the other a durso, or a herbie style.

The water heater should not be putting off heat, it supposed to keep heat inside with the water, so no it wont. and even if it does, a simple fan blowing across the sump will drop 5-10* degrees with no problem.

Make sure you have a big enough sump. remember on power down, you have a lot more water in the pipes that has to drain back down in addition to however low your display goes before the return pipes break their siphon. for reference, I usually see about a 20g increase in the sump on powerdown. There is no way I would run a 35g for a basement sump. I have aways used a 100g rubbermaid, but just recently switched to a 75 glass sump and only have it about 2/3rds full. its the max i can get on a power down without overflowing.

E.intheC
11/07/2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the help. Ive heard of the panworld pump. Ill have to look into it. My sump is actually a standard glass 75 gallon tank. 35 is the fuge section of the sump.

julie180
11/08/2011, 02:06 AM
If you have copper piping to your water heater, make sure it is not directly over your sump. Condensation can cause dripping. I don't know if it would be enough to cause a problem, but better safe than sorry!

Basement sumps rock