PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleaning magnet for the money

ozorowsky
11/07/2011, 02:10 PM
hey all; I was given a magnavore cleaning magnet with my sump. I Was looking at getting another one and it is $80

Is that normal going rate or is there a cheaper magnet that will work just as well?

bobby_demay
11/07/2011, 02:32 PM
Hi there,
I had a magnafloat for my first real magnet and was happy with it until I got a chance to use my buddies magnavore. If you have the extra doe then get the magnavore. There really is no comparison. However I will say it all depends on where and what your using it for. If your cleaning an acrylic refugium or any sump for that matter I would save your money. However if your using it to clean your display tank then absolutely. It works really well on acrylic however you will eventually have to buy extra pads because they will wear down. hope this helps

reeftivo
11/07/2011, 06:53 PM
Magnavore's have some beefy magnets for sure.

when I first used mine it jumped together so quick, it splashed my face with tank water and almost gave me a heart attack-LOL. I thought it had broke my glass.

Much mopre careful now when using it after that first experience.

I only use it now for my coralline spots and my back glass. My med magfloat works fine for the rest of the tank.

genxbigboy
11/08/2011, 03:17 AM
Magfloats are mediocre at best. Cant scrub the tough coraline algae away. thats what i have and i ended up using a plastic bowl scraper thats intended for baking to clean my acrylic tank

Cyril
11/08/2011, 07:14 AM
$80 for a magnet???? Nah..Ill stick with my mag float . I think I just turned into my grandpa right there lol

ozorowsky
11/08/2011, 09:10 AM
Magfloats are mediocre at best. Cant scrub the tough coraline algae away. thats what i have and i ended up using a plastic bowl scraper thats intended for baking to clean my acrylic tank

what about a mag float 350 will that work okay?

zigzag1
11/08/2011, 12:13 PM
I haven't tried the magnavore, but I upsized my mag float one size up and it does a great job.