PDA

View Full Version : My journey in disease eradication

hvacman250
11/07/2011, 07:25 PM
11/7/2011

This is more of a blog for myself, but will probably be a nightmare for me and comedy for you.

I have never quarantined anything. I currently have a 225 gallon reef with Ich and I believe Velvet. I have 13 fish which have to be removed. Those fish will be split between a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon treatment tank.

First will be copper, then PraziPro, at least 2 Formalin baths, and possibly Furan 2. Tank will be left fallow for 12 weeks.

Tonight I picked up the traps and borrowed tanks. The trap is a cylindrical acrylic trap which has a door with fishing line. When the fish goes in, you release the line and trap fish. I also made TWO 2 liter bottle traps.

I caught the (1)Longhose Hawkfish easy with food and net. Next was a very sick (2)Blueline Tang. At dusk, the smallest (3) Pajama Cardinal fell for the acrylic trap.

Left to trap
(4) large Pajama Cardinal
(5) actively breeding Occy female :(
(6) actively breeding Occy male
(7) very sick Hippo tang, not eating
(8) Tomini Tang
(9) Orange Spot Diamond Goby (catching this guy is going to be impossible!!)
(10) McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
(11) Mystery Wrasse
(12) Yellow Coris Wrasse
(13) Sixline Wrasse

The saga continues in the morning...

bdroddy
11/07/2011, 07:48 PM
Good luck bro, I feel your pain. I spent 4 hours on Saturday removing my lr to get all my fish out to qt for ich.

hvacman250
11/07/2011, 07:54 PM
Good luck bro, I feel your pain. I spent 4 hours on Saturday removing my lr to get all my fish out to qt for ich.

I'm the biggest animal lover on the planet, but all my fish can die before I remove one piece of rock.

The rock is perfect to my liking, I have dozens of corals and a very healthy 14" H. Mag that I refuse to disturb. My most expensive fish is a $100 Mystery Wrasse from DD.

Hopefully the traps work over the next couple days.

hvacman250
11/07/2011, 08:53 PM
I knew it! The saga gets better amd better...

The 55 gallon was sitting in the floor (level hardwoods) and the bottom pane cracked!

Luckily I had a clear tupperware storage container ready to go!

And its only day one ...

snorvich
11/08/2011, 12:35 PM
But you are on the way to a healthy tank!!! Having a brute container (food safe) as a backup is a good idea and can be used for all sorts of other uses.

MrTuskfish
11/08/2011, 02:08 PM
If this was ich, fish traps would probably work. Velvet doesn't give you the luxury of time; it can wipe out a tank in no time. I think you'll have to tear the tank apart if you want to save the fish.

hvacman250
11/08/2011, 02:10 PM
Blueline died in treatment tank overnight.
Tomini disappeared in the big tank overnight.

So this morning as I'm playing "catch the fish with the trap door", anger gets the better of me. When I get upset, I do stupid stuff. Off to Lowes I go to buy Brute containers, tarps, super glue, WaterWeld, etc.

I get back, lay the tarp down, and take EVERYTHING out of the tank! So the tank is aquascaped much better now, ALL fish are in the treatment tanks, and corals are back in place. So far, so good.

Coris, Mystery, McCoskers, and Sixline wrasses and Orange Spot Goby are in the 30 w/ 20 lbs sand. 16 drops of Cupramine added. I plan to add it SLOWLY.

In the other tank is the Hippo, LN Hawkfish, 2 clowns, 2 cardinals. 2x 16 drops added to this tank.

All in all, I am happy I did it this way. 12 weeks will fly by with my crazy life.

hvacman250
11/09/2011, 06:17 AM
And then there were 9 (from14)...

Goby jumped in the night. Found dried on floor. (tank is covered 95%, so I tried to prevent this)
Sixline dead in tank.
Left in sand tank-Mystery, Coris, McCoskers.
Copper level- 0.2

All fish in bare-bottom seem fine: 2 clowns, 2 cardinals, hawk, hippo.
Copper level- 0.2

Will be adding more copper today to slowly bring up to 0.35.

Wrench
11/09/2011, 06:59 AM
Good luck, you're doing the right thing. I just finished my journey. It is a truly great feeling to be able to add something like an achilles or powder blue tang and have no worries of them getting ich.....after they go through QT, of course :)

Only mistake I made was I did not know copper rendered ammonia kits useless. I now do a 50% weekly water change on my QT tanks if they need it or not.

MrTuskfish
11/09/2011, 07:35 AM
You're fighting a tough parasite and seem to be on the right track. Copper needs to be measured with a copper test kit; don't trust just counting drops----there are too many variables and proper copper concentration is important. Which brand of test kit depends on the copper brand; Sailfert (I prefer it) and SeaChem Cu tests work with Cupramine. I don't know about other copper brands. BTW, there are easy and cheap ways to always be ready to instantly cycle a QT/HT. I hate to battle ammonia when a fish is in the QT/HT.

hvacman250
11/18/2011, 07:39 PM
Today is 11/18.

The remaining 8 fish have been at 0.5 ppm Cupramine for 7 days now. I took 2 days to get there. I am testing with brand new Sera, API, and Salifert test kits.

Tank has been fallow for 10 days.

Not much to report. One week down, at least 9 to go. I havent decided if I am going to go fallow for 10, 12, or 16 weeks :)

jlylec
11/20/2011, 07:03 PM
Today is 11/18.

The remaining 8 fish have been at 0.5 ppm Cupramine for 7 days now. I took 2 days to get there. I am testing with brand new Sera, API, and Salifert test kits.

Tank has been fallow for 10 days.

Not much to report. One week down, at least 9 to go. I havent decided if I am going to go fallow for 10, 12, or 16 weeks :)

glad to hear things have settled and you're on your way to cleanliness! i'm days away from doing the same. making my 2 liter fish trap tonight to catch my last 3 remaining fish. i have a 40g breeder hospital tank set up for a month or so with 2 koralias and 2 sponge filters and a heater. what is the set up of your hospital tank? i'm really worried that my set up won't be good enough or keep the fish healthy, but i really don't want to add another filter if i can avoid it. i plan on changing 4 gallons (10%) every other day. you think this will be enough?

thanks and good luck! i look forward to seeing updates!