PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Mantis with urchin

apexifd
11/08/2011, 10:54 AM
I need to relocated my false fire sea urchin, and the only other tank that I have houses a 4" peacock mantis.

I and wonder if the peacock mantis will make a quick meal on urchin(4")

thanks

Peter

TundraGuy
11/08/2011, 11:02 AM
That’s like sitting me down in front of a steak. Just make sure if you do put them together then take a video of it………..
Ok seriously I wonder if you have someone in the local clubs in your area that can help you out. I hate asking stores for the favor of holding him for you but they might give you a small credit on it if you turn him in.

TriggerFreak1
11/08/2011, 11:07 AM
I think the mantis would if the its a short spined urchin.

TundraGuy
11/08/2011, 11:18 AM
I have seen them disassemble urchins before takes awhile. I don’t do this in my tanks cus of all the spines left behind just bug me.

ritter6788
11/08/2011, 04:56 PM
I've kept pincushion urchins with all my stomatopods with no issues. My O. scyllarus would "tap" the urchin if it got in front of the burrow but no harm was ever done. There's always the chance that the mantis will smash it up though.

khowst
11/09/2011, 11:36 AM
My wennerae took out a short spine urchin the night I added it. Havent tried with my peacock though.

King Nikon
11/09/2011, 03:23 PM
My peacock has had a longspine urchin in the tank since the first day (urchin was in the tank before the peacock because I was waiting for them to get one at the store)

I've had no problems, sometimes my peacock will swim over the the urchin to check it out but the urchin just points its spines at my mantis and she just swims away.

MantisO_o
11/09/2011, 03:48 PM
My peacock has had a longspine urchin in the tank since the first day (urchin was in the tank before the peacock because I was waiting for them to get one at the store)

I've had no problems, sometimes my peacock will swim over the the urchin to check it out but the urchin just points its spines at my mantis and she just swims away.

Mine did nearly the same...she sometimes would smack at it but most times leave it be.

FLMantis
11/09/2011, 04:13 PM
I have mine with a pencil urchin and it still alive over 3 months. But this Peacock is a lot nice then my other Peacock.

Luck of the draw, if you going to be upset if it dies. I wouldn't risk it.